Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Attorney
Experience:  Atty since 1986. Real estate, tax, and other business law questions
10033880

I need help asap i am a manager of a medical office with ...

I need help asap i am a manager of a medical office with several MD''s in a physician owned practice. My question is this....my daughter was to work for my brother who is also in the same office and now they are saying she can not due to being a family member as that has been part of the by laws....however their are 16 other physicians that have wifes, daugters in the same practice. Can they do this to my daughter?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 8 years ago.

Unfortunately they can do what they want in this regard. It may be discrimination, but it's not illegal discrimination.

However, perhaps there is something about your daughter that makes them hesitant, particularly if other family members have worked there. Consider honestly whether maybe your daughter is not quite mature enough for a medical practice.

They may also see your daughter in a different light because you are the manager. But, I'm wondering - to whom do you report? A Board? So if there's someone to say no, you're not really in charge --unless you have a contract that says you are.

It could be time to assert yourself and your management abilities. Or it may be time to move on.

Only you know for sure.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I wish i had explained it better, my daughter is graduating from Wake University with her Masters in Medicine and will be a licensed Physician Assistant. My brother is an MD. There is a board that had approved him hiring her but the new CMO dislikes my brother and states that he was not aware that she is his neice.
Well, unfortunately, there is still no law out there that will help her get a job. They can't be made to hire her.