How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jane Doe Deer Your Own Question

Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 3896
Experience:  Atty since 1986. Real estate, tax, and other business law questions
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Jane Doe Deer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dear Sirs, Where does one go to apply for a small ...

Customer Question

Dear Sirs, Where does one go to apply for a small business grant. My husband wants to work out of our home. He was in the radio business for 25 years and wants to make commercials out his home office full-time now. He has the contacts, but we need start-up capital, probably aound $5,000 for the equipment. Whom do we talk to?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

What state are you in?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you Ms Kogut. We are in the state of Michigan. We have lived here for 14 years now. As for additional information. My husband has been a practicing radio personality for 20 uears and has been a "production director" for the last 5. A production director combines voice and soumd effects to write and produce radio and television commercials. This is generally done in an office environment on specialized audio equipment. Everything is digital now. He has the talent and the experience to do this on an independent consulting basis, plus the contacts to make it a real money-making business. But we need the capital to create this set-up in our home. We are looking for a small business grant of approx $5000. After my husband being unemployed last year for nearly 8 months, our immediate credit is shot. He is employed now by a small audio production company in town, but at nominal pay. My husband is 55 now and too old for an on-air radio job. But his commercials get great reviews! It's time to go independent. I am 47 and have a good and stable job making $52K a year. We have a condo but with little equity in it. How do we apply for a small business grant or low-cost loan? Where do we start??? Best regards, XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 7 years ago.

I'd love to see you save up the $5000.00 to invest, rather than taking a risk on a loan. But if it's a grant you want, here are some ideas:,1607,7-154-11407_15317_15346---,00.html

At this government agency, you can find out about grants and you can also obtain information about starting a small business in Michigan.

Next, I always recommend SCORE, which is a free service from which you can obtain business assistance from a retired volunteer businessperson:

I also recommend checking for grants through universities in your husband's field. There may be people with their fingers on this type of information.

Next, do a very simple google search. To do a google search, go to Enter the word "grants" and you will find all kinds of information on grants. You'll need to stick to your husband's field. Prepare to do a lot of paperwork.

Another idea is to get a local government agency and/or business to give your husband a couple of contracts, and use the money to get the business going (be sure to ALWAYS use written contracts for all work, or you'll need to write Just Answer again!).

Meanwhile, why do you say your husband is too old for an on-air radio personality job? Poppycock! I bet he has a beautiful voice. And he's protected by age discrimination laws!


If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Merry A. Kogut or Key Peninsula Law in Washington.


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Dimitry K., Esq.

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
< Last | Next >
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
  • MShore Law's Avatar

    MShore Law


    Satisfied Customers:

    Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements
  • RGMacEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    15 years practicing attorney, MBA
  • J.Hazelbaker's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced and trained in the area of business law.
  • MDLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience in business law, contract law and related matters.
  • J. Warren's Avatar

    J. Warren


    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience in general business transaction and formation matters.

Related Business Law Questions