rvlaw
rvlaw, Attorney
Experience:  NYC Trial Attorney 30+ years; Law professor ; BUSINESS LAW; CONTRACTS; TORTS; Arbitrator
3071004

Can a company charge me 30% + another 30% + 10% for return

I became an indenpendent business owner with Ecoquest International, the person that signed me up, said that I could return the products (that I was to sell) any time. He never mentioned additional fees of any kind. In fact he made it sound like if the business didn''t work out, it was no problem to return the products. I received a letter in which they will charge if 10% restocking fees, plus an additional restocking fee of 30%, and for any product that I have over 6 months, another 30%! Is this legal??? I was never informed of any of this prior to purchasing the products to sell.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  rvlaw replied 8 years ago.

It isn't a question of legal vs. illegal as such. It is a function of contract law. If they did not inform you of these fees at the outset, then they cannot charge them........they are changing the terms of the agreement and those additional terms are, therefore, NOT enforceable.

Rich