Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Attorney
Experience:  Atty since 1986. Real estate, tax, and other business law questions

i am an independent contractor representing fabric ...

Customer Question

i am an independent contractor representing fabric jobbers. one of the jobbers who i have done alot of work for has from time to time changed the pay scale , cut the agreed territory and now asking for reports of whom i seeing and has said i will not be paid my commission if not received.. is this withholding pay legal and ive been told that they cannot make these request. how do i find my legal rights concerning this. also have drastically cut the agreed commission on work already booked for them at a higher rate, example , started at ten per cent and now have reduced it to 3 per cent which doesnt cover the cost of obtaining that business. help, thanks XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 8 years ago.

If you are an independent contract, you should have a written contract in place with the jobber, who is your customer. The level of pay should be spelled out in the written contract, along with how modifications to the contract are to be made.

If you are not working under a written contract, you need to be.

Without a written contract, you have little say if they want to pay you less, other than to just say "no."

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Merry A. Kogut or Key Peninsula Law in Washington.