rvlaw, Attorney
Experience:  NYC Trial Attorney 30+ years; Law professor ; BUSINESS LAW; CONTRACTS; TORTS; Arbitrator

What if I have not signed a fee agreement with my lawyer

Customer Question

If I have not signed a fee agreement with my attorney, how can he make me pay?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  rvlaw replied 8 years ago.

There are two issues here.

1. Per most state ethical rules, attorneys are to enter written agreements as to fees so that the client understands the nature of the services to be rendered and the cost. This is so there is no confusion later as to the responsibility of each.

2 BUT...#1 is an ethical rule and does NOT mean that an attorney can never charge for services rendered in good faith. If your lawyer performed services for you...and there is no issue about that (except some disagreemnet about the specifics of hours spent, etc.) you cannot get those services for free! He can sue you to collect for the services he did perform.