Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Attorney
Experience:  Atty since 1986. Real estate, tax, and other business law questions

Am I liable

I am in the jewelry industry. There is a website for our trade, specifically to research and ask about companies and people. We recently began business with someone,his first couple checks bounced, but he made good. My company wanted more information, so I went on this website to ask if anyone had information on this guy. Unfortunately, it went under a section called "scammers, thieves, frauds". I had it removed and placed an apology stating I was just asking for references, nothing more. 2 more checks bounced and this customer says because of where the question was placed on the website, he cannot get goods from his suppliers and I''m putting him out of business. Can he come after me personally?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 8 years ago.

As I often say, anyone can sue for anything. The real question is can one win?

It sounds to me that this customer had a problem probably for long before he ever encountered you. After all, his first two checks bounced. I bet he's bounced lots of checks. More than likely, his business was on the downhill path long before you ever posted the question, and will continue to be.

So, sure, he can sue you - but it's really, really unlikely he'll find an attorney to represent him for free. And it doesn't sound like he'll have the money for a retainer to pay someone an hourly wage. Perhaps he can try to take you to Small Claims Court. I doubt he'll win.

My best advice is "don't worry, be happy" - don't worry about getting sued until if and when it happens. Meanwhile, put everything regarding this incident into a file folder and keep it 7 years.

Good luck,