Anne_C, Attorney
Experience:  Business litigator, 15 years' experience

I did some computer consulting for one company in ...

I did some computer consulting for one company in 2007. There was no written contract or agreement between us. I performed the work and invoiced the company, and they paid me what was invoiced. I no longer do business with this company. They are asking for my books stating that I over charged them for my services. There was never a question on any invoice I submitted. The invoices were detailed with hours and work performed and they paid all in full. Do they have the legal right without a contract for my books?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Anne_C replied 8 years ago.

The company does not have a legal right to require you to produce your books for inspection if it is not in your contract with them. It sounds like the invoices that you submitted detailing the hours you worked and showing what you did should be enough.

However, if the company were to sue you alleging overcharges, the company could ask for that information in "discovery." Discovery is done after a lawsuit is filed, and in writing. Responses are made under oath. You would have a right to object to discovery requests that were over broad, invaded your right to privacy, or the right to privacy of the other clients that you worked for.

I wish you the best with this situation.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Anne_C's Post: This is a LLC we are talking about. Does that make any difference? Thank you.
Expert:  Anne_C replied 8 years ago.

My answer would be the same for an individual, sole proprietorship, "dba", LLC or LLP, or corporation.