Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

We have a lease agreement that ends on May 31. In our ...

We have a lease agreement that ends on May 31. In our lease, it states that we can only give a 30 day written notice to vacate between the 1st and 3rd of any given month. Being that our lease is up at the end of the month, haven''t we fulfilled our lease agreement? Or are we, as our lease states, going to be liable for the next months rent since we gave notice to vacate on the 6th and not between the first and third?
Is this a residential or commercial lease? Where is the property located? Can you send me the exact wording that the landlord is relying on?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This is a residential lease, in Las Vegas, Nevada. Below is the exact wording of the rental agreement:

Termination. Termination of this lease shall require written notice of 30 days prior to the expiration date stated above. Notice may be served by Lessor/Agent or Lessee to the other party and must be received no later than the 3rd day of the final month of tenancy.

There is more, but this seems to be the pertinent information. If you need more, please let me know.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Anything?

Thank you for the additional information.

In Nevada, if there is a written lease with a specific duration or term, the lease automatically ends on the last day of the term UNLESS the lease requires a written notice or provides for automatic renewal. Not only is it legal but some Nevada municipalities require a 30-day written notice before the end of the term. Accordingly, in my opinion you are responsible for the additional months rent.

I am sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear.

If I can be of any further assistance please click "ACCEPT" and then submit another question directly to me. Otherwise simply click the "ACCEPT" button so that I can get credit for my work.

Best wishes for a successful outcome.

Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state