FiveStarLaw
FiveStarLaw, Attorney
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

I have a contract with a business to occupy space in their

I have a contract with a business to occupy space in their buildingThe contract states that I will have a food service business and further states that they have to remodel this area to code. I feel they need to bring the plumbing and electrical up to code to support such an operation and that the restrooms be made handicap accessible. They say they only intend to put in new floor and ceiling tiles. Will I have cause for breach of contract?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 6 years ago.
What state is the property located in? Are you saying that the plumbing and electric are insufficient for the amount of business you will be doing or that it is not up to code for any amount of business?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sTATE OF ILLINOS Both insuffient and not up to code both building codes and health codes. Alsothe restrooms in this area are not handicap accessible per the building codes of a new food establishment.

Thank you for your additional information. It will better help me to correctly assist you.

I suggest that you call the Building Department and the Board of Health. The building inspector will not permit the landlord to allow occupancy in premises that are not up to Code. The Board of Health will not allow you to open a food establishment in violations of the health code.

Since your contract calls for them to deliver the premises up to Code for your business, the inspections will make it overly clear that they are legally obligated to bring the premises up to the standards they promised.

If you have any additional questions or if I can be of any further assistance please click "ACCEPT" and then submit another question directly to me. Otherwise simply click the "ACCEPT" button(s) next to the answer(s) so that I can get credit for my work.

Best wishes for a successful outcome.

Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state

FiveStarLaw, Attorney
Experience: 25 years of experience helping people like you.
Was my answer helpful to you?