Anne_C, Attorney
Experience:  Business litigator, 15 years' experience

I am curious, I wish to post photos of a product (for my ...

I am curious, I wish to post photos of a product (for my business) but I do not know if I can do that in cases of intellectual property.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Anne_C replied 8 years ago.

Dear Firetime 123:

1. What type of a product is it?
  2. Who did you obtain the product from?
  3. Where do you want to post those photos -- on a website?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Anne_C's Post:

product like this. I ask because numerous online retailers have taken to mail orders regarding this product, however others offer the picture on their website.

I would love to have a shopping cart, but I don't want to risk litigation if it means it.

I planned on working with a distributer who sells this product and not the main company itself, so i dont know if it makes a difference.

and the photos in question would be on a website.
Expert:  Anne_C replied 8 years ago.

Dear FireTime 123:

I can see why you might have a concern over intellectual property, given the details on the artwork and of the figures that are being sold. Whether or not you would violate copyright laws would depend on if the figurines and artwork are copyrighted or trademarked, and how the copyright or trademark is held. Here is a link to the US Patent and Trademark office: if you wanted to check individual categories of materials.

That being said, there's no reason you can't simply ask for permission from the distributor or manufacturer to use pictures of what you want to sell on your website. You can e-mail or write to them and ask. Make sure that they respond in writing so you have that for your records.

Good luck with your venture.