Anne_C, Attorney
Experience:  Business litigator, 15 years' experience

I have a business. I would like to hire a 1099 employee.

I have a business. I would like to hire a 1099 employee. what type of agreement should there be between us?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Anne_C replied 8 years ago.

Dear Water Warehouse:

1. What is this individual going to be doing?
  2. What state are you in?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The business name isXXXXX The 1099 person will be going to individual homes and attempting to sell the home-owner a water softener, reverse osmosis, or pure water.

Expert:  Anne_C replied 8 years ago.

Dear Water Warehouse:

You will need an independent contractor agreement. There is a site called that sells forms for $14.95 to $16.95. You can preview the forms in .pdf before selecting one that is appropriate for your situation. The site has several hundred independent contractor forms to chose from. There is another site called that you could also check out. That site actually drafts the form for you by asking questions about where the business is, what type of work you do, and so on. Select the "contractor agreement" tab on that page.

By the way, you should also discuss this situation with your insurance broker and make sure that you have coverage under your CGL policy for this individual's work.

Good luck.