Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Master's Degree
Experience:  M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration
46856550

Network Security Small Accounting Firm: You have been

Customer Question

Network Security for a Small Accounting Firm:
You have been recently hired as a network security analyst for a small accounting firm. The firm is realizing that they need help to secure their network and customer’s data. With your background and skills, they are looking to you to provide guidance. In addition to helping them secure their network, they require that you obtain your CompTIA Security+ certification within 60 days of being hired.
In addition to the owner, who serves as the overall business manager, there are about 20 people on staff:
• 10 accountants
• 3 administrative support specialists
• 1 vice president
• 1 financial manager
• 2 interns
There is also one IT support technician on staff, who has basic computer hardware and networking knowledge. He has requested that the firm create a website, hosted internally, so that new customers can get information about the firm. This will be important to remember as you complete your final project.
The firm has a simple network. There are currently 20 computers and two multipurpose printers. All computers and printers are connected wirelessly to a NETGEAR MR814 device. This router is connected to a Motorola SB3100 cable modem. Staff e mail accounts are set up through the company’s Internet provider. Employees use a combination of Microsoft Outlook and standard web browsers to access their e-mail. The owner is known to use his personal iPad during work hours to check and respond to e mail messages.
Prior to your hiring, they hired a network cabling contractor to run Cat 6 cables from the central wiring closet to all offices and cubicles. They want to move away from using wireless as the primary network connection, but want to keep wireless access for customers coming to the building. The technician who did the wiring mentioned to your supervisor that he should look into setting up a Windows Server domain to manage user access, instead of the current peer-to-peer network. He also recommended that the firm invest in a managed switch and a firewall, and look into having some backups. The internal IT support technician agreed with these recommendations but needs your help to implement them.
You’ve been asked to assess the current vulnerabilities and provide a recommendation to the firm’s owner on how to better secure the network infrastructure. Now that you are aware of the firm’s history, your assessment and recommendation should provide specifics about the network security settings that must be implemented and the equipment that must be procured, installed, and configured. The firm’s owner has a basic understanding of computing, so it is important that you explain the technical issues in layman's terms.
To get started, follow the steps below.
- Overview
You will provide a detailed vulnerabilities assessment document, along with some specific recommendations to implement to address the vulnerabilities you have described. This document should be based on the scenario provided. Use LabSim as a guide in your analysis and recommendations.
Your document should have three major sections:
1. Vulnerabilities Assessment. This section should include areas where network security could pose security problems. Explain why these vulnerabilities could be exploited and what the implications are if they are not addressed. In this section, you do not need to provide specific recommendations on how to mitigate these issues.
2. Network System Security Recommendations. This section should include specific recommendations based on the vulnerabilities identified in previous section. These would include procuring new equipment or systems, and you should explain why these systems or equipment are needed. Cognizant that the firm only has a NETGEAR wireless router, determine what else is needed. They have Cat 6 cable running from each work area to the central wiring closet. But those cables are just hanging from the ceiling right now. The technician has recommended implementing a managed switch, a firewall, and a Windows domain, as well as setting up some backups (note: this could mean many things). Research appropriate equipment and provide guidance on their setup as appropriate for the business.
Include any configuration information for the equipment. For example, if you are getting a firewall, what setting(s) from a firewall should be in place for this firm?
3. Application/End-User Security Recommendations. This should include end-user specific recommendations such as the need for a specific application on the end-user’s computer or a specific training or best-practice that the user must employ. Again, explain why these are necessary and provide the specific configuration information as needed.
***It should be written using the IEEE citation style.
Category: Business and Finance Homework
Expert:  Mr. Gregory White replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Greg.

Is there any other information you can send to see if I can assist on it this for you? If you have any documents you can upload, you can do so to mediafire.com or box.com and share the link here with us.

If I had a model and could provide that as a model (would have to check files to see if I have one), would that be sufficient or are you seeking a fully written new model document?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I need a fully written new model document with the following instructions/ information:

1.Write an executive brief to summarize a network or Cybersecurity-related concept or incident to management. This includes:

• Analyzing business needs in regards ***** ***** security.

• Identifying current vulnerabilities.

• Providing scholarly references to vulnerabilities.

• Articulating the vulnerabilities.

2.Assess the need for network security devices to support the business or organization. This includes:

• Selecting/ identifying the appropriate type of network security devices to use.

• Providing justifications for the selected devices.

3. Assess the need for network services to support the business or organization. This includes:

• Selecting/ identifying the network services to implement.

• Providing justifications for the selected services.

4. Apply and implement appropriate security measures on a network to support the business or organization. This includes:

• Identifying network security measures needed (should include preventative and maintenance measures).

• Provide justifications for the measures.

5. Apply proper ethical principles in dealing with sensitive customer information. This includes:

• Using appropriate techniques and procedures to secure sensitive customer information.

• Using proper documentation to track sensitive activities.

6. Follow proper procedures and protocols in completing IT-related tasks. This includes:

• Identifying and applying appropriate software licensing model(s) for the software used in the proposal.

• Demonstrating the ability to make network administration or Cybersecurity decisions based on best practices and/or standard procedures/ protocols.

7. Satisfy standards of writing style and grammatical correctness. This includes:

• Using IEEE citation style.

• Using credible reasoning, appropriate research, and supporting evidence in communication.

• Synthesizing sources appropriately using paraphrase, summary and quotation.

• Satisfying standards of writing style and grammatical correctness, including the use of industry-standard terminology and vocabulary.

After going through my resources, I do not have what is necessary to complete at this time.

I am opting out and opening up to the other professionals and messaging a couple who might be able to help.

Someone should be with you shortly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I haven't heard from anyone else yet.

I apologize and it is open for the other professionals

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It has been over a week and I have not gotten an answer yet. Why is the status of my purchase "finished" or "closed" already? Please return my payment if you have no answer for my question. No other professionals have contacted or answered the question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
need to automatically send to a different "expert" if the other "expert" cannot answer the question.