PDtax
PDtax, Master's Degree
Experience:  MBA/CPA, Former college instructor and tutor.
64119565

In 7-8 sentences can you tell me, “What would you do if the

Customer Question

In 7-8 sentences can you tell me, “What would you do if the wrong invoice was sent to a client?
Category: Business and Finance Homework
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
Hi from Just Answer. I'mCustomer and can assist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I have to answer this question asap it's for an interview so can you help
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
right now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes she is waiting for me to email her back
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
First, I would confirm the error, and what it was about. If the balance due was too low, I would determine if we can live with, or eat, the shortfall. If the balance was too high, I would de3termine what caused the error, prepare a new invoice immediately, then call the client.
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
Once I speak to the client, and explain that there was an error, I would likely ask that that invoice be destroyed. A new invoice is on its way, immediately if needed, in mail if client understands the issue and agrees that errors happen.
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
The error made will dictate the response. If a math error in goods sold, that's easily explained. If for professional services, perhaps for hours charged or services rendered, an explanation must be delivered to the client if they have received the erroneous invoice. An explanation of what to expect should be delivered during the phone call.
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
Once the issue has been discussed, and resolution arrived at, prompt delivery of the revised invoice is appropriate. Follow up after a few days, by the same person who called to clarify the invoice, is a good idea to insure the client understands the correction and agrees with it.
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
Thanks from Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'mCustomer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I send it but I have a question ... The part you said live with or eat it what did you exactly mean
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
small errors that we could live with can be accepted to promote goodwill. A bill that should be $6,300 but is issued by $6,000 might be small enough to pass on. The amount of additional income might not be worth alienating a client.
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
I forgot one thing: verify that the client payment has not been sent. If so, issuing a credit memo will work.