linda_us
linda_us, Master's Degree
Experience:  A tutor for Business, Finance, Accounts and other related topics.
19873544

1. On July 1, 2014, an interest payment date, $90,000 of Parks

Customer Question

1. On July 1, 2014, an interest payment date, $90,000 of Parks Co. bonds were converted into 1,800 shares of Parks Co. common stock each having a par value of $45 and a market value of $54. There is $3,600 unamortized discount on the bonds. Using the book value method, Parks would record (Points : 4)
no change in paid-in capital in excess of par.
a $5,400 increase in paid-in capital in excess of par.
a $10,800 increase in paid-in capital in excess of par.
a $7,200 increase in paid-in capital in excess of par.

Question 2.2. In 2014, Eklund, Inc., issued for $103 per share, 70,000 shares of $100 par value convertible preferred stock. One share of preferred stock can be converted into three shares of Eklund's $25 par value common stock at the option of the preferred stockholder. In August 2015, all of the preferred stock was converted into common stock. The market value of the common stock at the date of the conversion was $30 per share. What total amount should be credited to additional paid-in capital from common stock as a result of the conversion of the preferred stock into common stock? (Points : 4)
$1,190,000.
$ 910,000.
$1,750,000.
$1,960,000.

Question 3.3. On December 1, 2014, Lester Company issued at 103, five hundred of its 9%, $1,000 bonds. Attached to each bond was one detachable stock warrant entitling the holder to purchase 10 shares of Lester's common stock. On December 1, 2014, the market value of the bonds, without the stock warrants, was 95, and the market value of each stock purchase warrant was $50. The amount of the proceeds from the issuance that should be accounted for as the initial carrying value of the bonds payable would be (Points : 4)
$484,100.
$489,250.
$500,000.
$515,000.

Question 4.4. On December 31, 2014, Gonzalez Company granted some of its executives options to purchase 150,000 shares of the company’s $10 par common stock at an option price of $50 per share. The Black-Scholes option pricing model determines total compensation expense to be $1,125,000. The options become exercisable on January 1, 2015, and represent compensation for executives’ services over a three-year period beginning January 1, 2015. At December 31, 2015 none of the executives had exercised their options. What is the impact on Gonzalez’s net income for the year ended December 31, 2015 as a result of this transaction under the fair value method? (Points : 4)
$ 375,000 increase.
$1,125,000 decrease.
$ 375,000 decrease.
$0.

Question 5.5. Pacific Coast Inc. granted 15 million of its $1 par common shares to executives in 2014, subject to forfeiture if employment is terminated within three years. The common shares have a market price of $8 per share on the grant date. Ignoring taxes, what is the Compensation Expense in 2015 related to this grant? (Points : 4)
$0.
$15 million.
$40 million.
$120 million.

Question 6.6. Hill Corp. had 600,000 shares of common stock outstanding on January 1, issued 900,000 shares on July 1, and had income applicable to common stock of $1,470,000 for the year ending December 31, 2014. Earnings per share of common stock for 2014 would be (Points : 4)
$2.45.
$1.16.
$1.40.
$1.64.

Question 7.7. On December 31, 2014, Albacore Company had 300,000 shares of common stock issued and outstanding. Albacore issued a 10% stock dividend on June 30, 2015. On September 30, 2015, 12,000 shares of common stock were reacquired as treasury stock. What is the appropriate number of shares to be used in the basic earnings per share computation for 2015? (Points : 4)
$303,000.
$342,000.
$312,000.
$327,000.

Question 8.8. Fultz Company had 300,000 shares of common stock issued and outstanding at December 31, 2014. During 2015, no additional common stock was issued. On January 1, 2015, Fultz issued 400,000 shares of nonconvertible preferred stock. During 2015, Fultz declared and paid $150,000 cash dividends on the common stock and $125,000 on the nonconvertible preferred stock. Net income for the year ended December 31, 2015, was $800,000. What should be Fultz's 2015 earnings per common share, rounded to the nearest penny? (Points : 4)
$0.96
$1.75
$2.25
$2.67

Question 9.9. On January 1, 2014, Jay Company had 10,000 shares of $1 par common stock outstanding, and 4,000 shares of $100 par value, 7% cumulative, nonconvertible preferred stock. On April 1, 2014, Jay Company had a 2-for-1 stock split. On July 1, 2014, Jay Company issued 5,000 additional shares of common stock.

What is the weighted average shares outstanding to be used in basic earnings per share for 2014?
(Points : 4)
20,000.
22,500.
25,000.
27,000.

Question 10.10. Regan Inc. had 400,000 shares of common stock issued and outstanding at December 31, 2014. On July 1, 2015 an additional 400,000 shares were issued for cash. Regan also had stock options outstanding at the beginning and end of 2015 which allow the holders to purchase 120,000 shares of common stock at $28 per share. The average market price of Regan’s common stock was $35 during 2015. The number of shares to be used in computing diluted earnings per share for 2015 is (Points : 4)
896,000.
824,000.
696,000.
624,000.

Question 11.11. Fenton Co. had net income for 2014 of $400,000. The average number of shares outstanding for the period was 200,000 shares. The average number of shares under outstanding options, at an option price of $30 per share is 12,000 shares. The average market price of the common stock during the year was $36. What should Fenton Co. report for diluted earnings per share for the year ended 2014? (Points : 4)
$2.00
$1.98
$1.90
$1.86

Question 12.12.
Leverage Corporation had net income for the year of $600,000 and a weighted average number of common shares outstanding during the period of 200,000 shares. The company has a convertible bond issue outstanding. The bonds were issued four years ago at par ($2,500,000), carry a 7% interest rate, and are convertible into 40,000 shares of common stock. The company has a 40% tax rate. Diluted earnings per share are
(Points : 4)
$2.06
$2.79
$2.94
$3.22

Question 13.13. Burnet Company had 30,000 shares of common stock outstanding on January 1, 2014. On April 1, 2014, the company issued 15,000 shares of common stock. The company had outstanding fully vested incentive stock options for 5,000 shares exercisable at $10 that had not been exercised by its executives. The end-of-year market price of common stock was $8 while the average for the year was $9. The company reported net income in the amount of $189,374 for 2014. What is the effect of the options on EPS? (Points : 4)
The options will have no effect on EPS.
The options will dilute EPS by $.09 per share.
The options will dilute EPS by $.33 per share.
The options will dilute EPS by $.17 per share.

Question 14.14. Compensation expense resulting from a compensatory stock option plan is generally (Points : 4)
recognized in the period of exercise.
recognized in the period of the grant.
allocated to the periods benefited by the employee's required service.
allocated over the periods of the employee's service life to retirement.

Question 15.15. What effect will the acquisition of treasury stock have on stockholders' equity and earnings per share, respectively? (Points : 4)
Decrease and no effect.
Increase and no effect.
Decrease and increase.
Increase and decrease.

Question 16.16. When computing diluted earnings per share, convertible bonds are (Points : 4)
ignored.
assumed converted whether they are dilutive or antidilutive.
assumed converted only if they are antidilutive.
assumed converted only if they are dilutive.

Question 17.17. In applying the treasury stock method to determine the dilutive effect of stock options and warrants, the proceeds assumed to be received upon exercise of the options and warrants (Points : 4)
are used to calculate the number of common shares repurchased at the average market price, when computing diluted earnings per share.
are added, net of tax, to the numerator of the calculation for diluted earnings per share.
are disregarded in the computation of earnings per share if the exercise price of the options and warrants is less than the ending market price of common stock.
none of the above.

Question 18.18. Worth Corporation declared and paid cash dividends in January of the current year to its common shareholders. The dividend (Points : 4)
Will be added to the numerator of the earnings per share fraction for the current year.
Will be added to the denominator of the earnings per share fraction for the current year.
Will be subtracted from the numerator of the earnings per share fraction for the current year.
Has no effect on the earnings per share for the coming year.

Question 19.19. In computations of weighted average of shares outstanding, when a stock dividend or stock split occurs, the additional shares are (Points : 4)
weighted by the number of days outstanding.
weighted by the number of months outstanding.
considered outstanding at the beginning of the year.
ignored.

Question 20.20. The date on which to measure the compensation element in a stock option granted to a corporate employee ordinarily is the date on which the employee (Points : 4)
is granted the option.
has performed all conditions precedent to exercising the option.
may first exercise the option.
exercises the option.

Question 21.21. If a company offers additional considerations to convertible bondholders in order to encourage conversion, it is called a(an): (Points : 4)
forced conversion.
sweetener.
additional conversion.
end conversion.

Question 22.22. Convertible bonds (Points : 4)
have priority over other indebtedness.
may be exchanged for equity securities.
pay interest only in the event earnings are sufficient to cover the interest.
are usually secured by a first or second mortgage.

Question 23.23. Proceeds from an issue of debt securities having stock warrants should not be allocated between debt and equity features when (Points : 4)
the warrants issued with the debt securities are nondetachable.
the market value of the warrants is not readily available.
exercise of the warrants within the next few fiscal periods seems remote.

the allocation would result in a discount on the debt security.

Question 24.24. The conversion of preferred stock is recorded by the (Points : 4)
incremental method.
market value method.
book value method.
par value method.

Question 25.25. With respect to the computation of earnings per share, which of the following would be most indicative of a simple capital structure? (Points : 4)
Ownership interest consisting solely of common stock.
Earnings derived from one priXXXXX XXXXXne of business.
Common stock, preferred stock, and convertible securities outstanding in lots of even thousands.
None of the above.
Category: Business and Finance Homework
Expert:  linda_us replied 9 months ago.
Welcome and Thanks for requesting me.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to help you with your assignment. Please let me know your deadline.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I most definitely will, you did an outstanding job last time.

Expert:  linda_us replied 9 months ago.
Whats your deadline?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

about an hour left.

Expert:  linda_us replied 9 months ago.
I am really sorry but I am currently away from my system so won't be able to help today.

For future timed request please fix the time in advance so that I can make myself available. I will opt out so that other experts can help you.
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 9 months ago.

Do you still need assistance?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

No I'm fine I completed it already. Thanks.

Thank you for letting me know