mathwhiz123
mathwhiz123, Master Math Tutor
Experience:  Tutored math to students in college, of which included financial and accounting calculations.
69235728

In the context of the saving-investment balance and purely

Customer Question

In the context of the saving-investment balance and purely as an accounting identity, which variable or variables are directly affected and what would happen to gross private domestic investment (I) if:

a) Domestic saving by households was to decrease, everything else remaining the same?

b) U.S. net tax receipts were to increase, everything else remaining the same?

c) There was a sudden increase in exports from the U.S., everything else remaining the same?

d) Pre-tax business profits were to increase, everything else remaining the same?

e) Federal grants to state and local governments were to disappear, everything else remaining the same?

Recall the saving-investment balance is given as:

S + (M-X) = I + (G-T) where S is domestic saving by households and businesses, M is U.S. imports of
goods and services, X is U.S. exports of goods and services, I is private domestic investment in capital
goods, G is total federal, state and local government spending on goods and services, and T is the net
receipt of tax revenues by federal, state and local governments
Category: Business and Finance Homework
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm Josie and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with our professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of our professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Josie~Moderator

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I need assistance in this question. Could you solve it?

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello

Thank you for your reply. Moderators help customers like you work with the professionals on the site, we do not answer questions. We will continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,
Josie~Moderator
Expert:  Angela--Mod replied 1 year ago.
We appreciate your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the professional with the right expertise to come online. Please let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!

Best,

Angela

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do the professionals do? Will they solve the question for me?
Hello. The professionals role is to answer the question you have posed.

Thank you for your patience while we continue to search for the right professional to assist you. I have marked your question high priority and you’ll receive an email notification as soon as you have a new reply.

Expert:  mathwhiz123 replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'll have it ready for you. When do you need it by?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Send it now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When will you send it?

S + (M-X) = I + (G-T)

S decreases, I decreases because less savings is less money to invest.

T increases, S decreases, I unchanged but could decrease because potential investment in the form of savings was taken in taxes.

X increases, S increases, I could increase later due to increased savings from exports.

S increases, I could increase due to increased savings.

G decreases, I could increase if that meant that Taxes were raised to pay for the G spending.

If you have questions, please let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are the answers to the questions from a purely accounting perspective?

Expert:  mathwhiz123 replied 12 months ago.
As best as I could. I'm a math major.