SusanAthena
SusanAthena, Master's Degree
Experience:  12 years experience consulting & management
12809769

If a new Wal-Mart opens in your neighborhood and you decide

If a new Wal-Mart opens in your neighborhood and you decide to boycott the store, are you a stakeholder in that Wal-Mart? Why or why not? What kinds of companies attract this level of negativity. Why is the opening of a retailer a bad thing? Is the perception that it would be low end and lessen the value of the community or that it might displace small businesses? Who does it impact beyond you as an individual?
Category: Business and Finance Homework
Expert:  SusanAthena replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Thanks for your question!

Are there any requirements for the kind of answer you're looking for, such as a minimum word length or references?

Kind regards,
Susan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Clear, well organized and thorough answer to discussion question(s); discussion meets or exceeds length requirement.

more than 30 words

Hi. Thanks for that.

Anyone with a vested interest in a business or organization is a stakeholder. If I decided to boycott a Walmart, I would be a stakeholder, because the presence of the Walmart affects my community and my buying decisions. It might also affect the other businesses I frequent: for example, some businesses might close down, or they might have to adjust their pricing or their marketing.

A number of companies attract negative attention, such as decisions to boycott. Walmart is probably the most likely to attract this kind of attention due to its being bad for communities in almost every way: its sheer size will impact every other retailer within 20 miles or more; it has predatory business practices, such as deliberately opening new stores to compete with local businesses and drive them into extinction, then closing Walmarts which are too close together; it treats its employees poorly, paying minimum wage, barely or not adhering to fair labor practices, and union-busting; and offering only cheap goods, forcing suppliers and middlemen to offer deep discounts over regular pricing in order to supply to them. Other companies that might invite boycotts are really any other chain, stores that disproportionately impact very small businesses (like Starbucks, which drives independent coffee shops out of business), and companies known to have unfair labor practices or negative environmental impacts.

Low end businesses aren't necessarily a bad thing for communities. The availability of cheap goods is clearly responding to consumer demand. The problem is that cheap goods necessarily mean cheap labor. The consumers who are buying cheap, made-in-China goods are often unwittingly giving away their own jobs. Some kinds of businesses are destructive to neighborhoods. Examples include corner liquor stores (contributing to alcoholism and inviting local crime), sex trade stores such as adult stores, strip clubs (which decrease the appeal of the neighborhood to families) and lower property values, and check-cashing stores (which prey on the poor and lead to cycles of debt and poverty).

Every person in a community should be concerned about unwanted businesses. The commercial presence in a community affects what kind of small businesses can be successful, as well as the neighborhood demographic. While change and expansion aren't always bad, large corporations generally don't have the best interests of individual communities in mind when they decide to open storefronts, so communities should look after their own needs.

Kind regards,
Susan
SusanAthena, Master's Degree
Experience: 12 years experience consulting & management
Hi. Just checking in to see how your class is going. Remember that the experts here at JustAnswer are waiting to help you.

Kind regards,
Susan