Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Master's Degree
Experience:  M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration
46856550

Bob White leaned back and wiped his forehead with his hand.

Bob White leaned back and wiped his forehead with his hand. He was the president of the home oven division of Winkley & White, a manufacturer of a full line of home appliances that included refrigerators, ranges, ovens, dishwashers, disposals, dryers, washers, and range-hoods. The oven division made 24” and 26” built-in ovens, both self-cleaning (pyrolytic) and continuous clean(catalytic) models. The ovens were used mainly for home improvement, although a small portion was used in new construction. The Winkley & White oven was regarded as a high-quality, premium product and was expensive. Winkley & White ovens were sold to independent distributors, who in turn sold to appliance stores, home improvement centers, building and remodeling contractors, and other retail outlets Although the Winkley & White oven was a premium product and was distributed nationally, it had never achieved the large volume of better known brands such as General Electric, Magic Chef, Caloric, or Amana. As a result, the Winkley & White oven division was only marginally profitable due to its low volume. Last year, in order to increase volume, Winkley & White had entered into OEM1 contracts to manufacture ovens under other brand names. This was common practice in the industry, and in fact several of Winkley & White appliances (including gas ranges and disposals) were manufactured by other firms. Under one contract, Winkley & White made ovens for Samantha Stoves, a well-known established brand that was sold by its own distribution division to appliance stores, home improvement centers, building and remodeling contractors, and other retail outlets. Under another contract, Winkley & White manufactured ovens for Mastercraft Stores, which was a mass- market retailer with over a thousand stores throughout the United States. The Samantha and Mastercraft ovens were essentially similar to the Winkley & White brand ovens. Bob White was perspiring because he had just finished a phone conference with the top executives of Samantha. The Samantha executives had demanded a 5% price cut. What bothered Bob even more was that if Samantha received a 5% price cut, word would soon leak out, and Mastercraft would soon be demanding a price cut of 5% too. Within ten minutes, Bob had his three top executives around a conference table and had relayed to them the substance of Samantha's call. Jack Hewitt, the plant manager, was saying, “The Samantha and Mastercraft ovens are basically like our own ovens, but their walls are not as well insulated or as well sealed at the door opening. The difference in cost is $5 for rockwool insulation and $1 for the door gasket per oven. Labor cost is the same for all three brands. “Under the contracts with Samantha and Mastercraft, their production is scheduled 90 days in advance- which allows our ‘just-in-time’ inventory system to be implemented for raw materials. As a result, inventories of raw materials, work in process, and finished goods average about 30 days versus the 100 days of inventory we normal carry for the Winkley & White brand ovens. Sidney, what are our inventory carrying costs?” Sidney Cohen, the division controller, tapped his pencil on the table and cleared his throat. “We have carefully studied our inventory carrying costs, and these add up to double the interest rate that we pay on our short-term borrowings. We have a line of credit at two points over prime, with a compensating balance requirement of 20%. Prime rate is presently 8%. Our Selling, General and Administrative expenses are mainly stable year after year, and have not increased since we began making OEM ovens, Sidney continued. So, there are definitely manufacturing cost savings on our OEM ovens for Samantha and Mastercraft. Next to speak was Barbara Craig, the division sales manager. “Our terms of payment are 10 days from invoice for Samantha and Mastercraft, as compared with the normal 60 days on accounts receivable that we carry for our own distributors. Also, Winkley & White pays the freight on all truckload orders from our distributors. Samantha and Mastercraft pay the freight to ship all of their OEM ovens from here to to their central distribution points in Dallas and Chicago, respectively. Winkley & White provides a three-year warranty on labor and materials for our own brand ovens, but we do not provide warranties or warranty service on the OEM ovens. Bob White said, “Each of you has identified possible sources of lower costs on our OEM ovens versus our Winkley & White ovens. The question is whether these cost savings add up to enough to justify the lower prices that our OEM ovens sell for. If not, we may be in hot water. I seem to recall there’s a law, Robertson Patrick or some such name, on price discrimination. I hope that’s not going to cause our distributors to sue us for price discrimination. To avoid a lawsuit we must prove that our OEM prices are lower than what we charge our own distributors, due to cost savings on OEM sales.

1OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer, indicating that Winkley & White were the Original Equipment Manufacturer for Samantha and Mastercraft ovens.

*****************************************************************************************
Assignment: You are Sidney’s assistant. He asks you to prepare his report, and to clearly and fully explain your reasoning and your calculations.

EXHIBIT 1

Winkley and White Corporation

Home Oven Division

Income Statement for the Year Ended December 31 (in $’000)

________________________________________________________

Sales (net)

30,538

Raw materials

6,894

Factory wages

8,642

Factory overhead

7,003

Cost of goods manufactured

22,539

Add: Beginning inventories

5,079

Less: Ending inventories

5,985

Cost of goods sold

21,633

21,633

Gross profit

8,905

Less operating expenses:

Product warranty service costs

1,256

Freight out

1,321

Selling and marketing

958

Product advertising and promotion

432

General and administrative

1,623

Allocated corporate overhead*

329

Total operating expenses

5,919

5,919

Division income before income taxes

2,986

*Note: Corporate overhead includes interest expense.

Average

Total

Ovens Sold

Number

Price

Sales ($’000)

Winkley & White brand

23,673

$626.00

$14,819

Samantha OEM brand

17,654

$407.00

$7,185

Mastercraft OEM Brand

20,966

$407.00

$8,533

Totals

62,293

$30,537

Category: Business and Finance Homework
Expert:  replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your questions.

Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself.

CLICK HERE for the Word resource for this prompt.
CLICK HERE for the Excel resource for this prompt.

Feel free to request me anytime. Just put "For TeacherGreg" at the front of your post or, even better, bookmark my weblink at www.GregPearl.com and use the question box on my page - still put the "For TeacherGreg" in the front of the post so it is directly sent to me.

All the best in your studies and have a wonderful rest of the week.
Mr. Gregory White, Master's Degree
Experience: M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration