BusinessTutor, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Working towards my MBA degree in Finance (Completed the Foundation Classes with a GPA 4.0)

I see where you have responded to this request before - I was

I see where you have responded to this request before - I was hoping you still had the answers available?

Conan O'Brien Logging and Lumber Company owns 3,000 acres of timberland on the north side of Mount Leno, which was purchased in 1998 at a cost of $550 per acre. In 2010, O'Brien began selectively logging this timber tract. In May of 2010, Mount Leno erupted, burying the timberland of O'Brien under a foot of ash. All of the timber on the O'Brien tract was downed. In addition, the logging roads, built at a cost of $150,000, were destroyed, as well as the logging equipment, with a net book value of $300,000.
At the time of the eruption, O'Brien had logged 20% of the estimated 500,000 board feet of timber. Prior to the eruption, O'Brien estimated the land to have a value of $200 per acre after the timber was harvested. O'Brien includes the logging roads in the depletion base.
O'Brien estimates it will take 3 years to salvage the downed timber at a cost of $700,000. The timber can be sold for pulp wood at an estimated price of $3 per board foot. The value of the land is unknown, but must be considered nominal due to future uncertainties.

Determine the depletion cost per board foot for the timber harvested prior to the eruption of Mount Leno. (Round answer to 2 decimal places.)
Prepare the journal entry to record the depletion prior to the eruption.
Category: Business and Finance Homework
Expert:  BusinessTutor replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for requesting me to answer your post. Please click on the following link:

P.S. If you like my services, please feel free to direct your future posts to me specifically by typing "For BusinessTutor" at the beginning of your post. Should you choose to do this, please try to allow me 48 hours before the deadline. If you need to meet me online for a timed assignment, please advise me of the date and time (EST) you want me to meet you here and I will. Please make sure you take the length (and number) of the questions into consideration when making your offer to avoid delays in providing solutions.

Thank you