F. Naz
F. Naz, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Have completed B.COM and CA Finalist
20040807

No. 1 - Exchange rates If one U.S.

No. 1 - Exchange rates

If one U.S. dollar buys 1.64 Canadian dollars, how many U.S. dollars can you purchase for one Canadian dollar?

No. 2 - Currency Appreciation

Suppose 144 yen could be purchased in the foreign exchange market for one U.S. dollar today. If the yen depreciates by 8.0% tomorrow, how many yen could one U.S. dollar buy tomorrow?

No. 3 - Eurobonds versus domestic bonds

Suppose a foreign investor who holds tax-exempt Eurobonds paying 9% is considering investing in an equivalent-risk domestic bond in a country with a 28% withholding tax on interest paid to foreigners. If 9% after-tax is the investor's required return, what before-tax rate would the domestic bond need to pay to provide the required after-tax return?

No. 4 – Credit & Exchange Rate Risk

Suppose DeGraw Corporation, a U.S. exporter, sold a solar heating station to a Japanese customer at a price of 143.5 million yen, when the exchange rate was 140 yen per dollar. In order to close the sale, DeGraw agreed to make the bill payable in yen, thus agreeing to take some exchange rate risk for the transaction. The terms were net 6 months. If the yen fell against the dollar such that one dollar would buy 154.4 yen when the invoice was paid, what dollar amount would DeGraw actually receive after it exchanged yen for U.S. dollars?

No. 5 – Forward Market Hedge

Suppose a U.S. firm buys $200,000 worth of television tubes from a Mexican manufacturer for delivery in 60 days with payment to be made in 90 days (30 days after the goods are received). The rising U.S. deficit has caused the dollar to depreciate against the peso recently. The current exchange rate is 5.50 pesos per U.S. dollar. The 90-day forward rate is 5.45 pesos/dollar. The firm goes into the forward market today and buys enough Mexican pesos at the 90-day forward rate to completely cover its trade obligation. Assume the spot rate in 90 days is 5.30 Mexican pesos per U.S. dollar. How much in U.S. dollars did the firm save by eliminating its foreign exchange currency risk with its forward market hedge?
Category: Business and Finance Homework
Expert:  F. Naz replied 2 years ago.

No. 1 - Exchange rates

1/1.64 = 0.61

No. 2 - Currency Appreciation

144*1.08 = 155.52

No. 3 - Eurobonds versus domestic bonds

9/1-.28 = 12.5

No. 4 – Credit & Exchange Rate Risk

143.5/154.4 = .9294 million dollars

No. 5 – Forward Market Hedge

Suppose a U.S. firm buys $200,000 worth of television tubes from a Mexican manufacturer for delivery in 60 days with payment to be made in 90 days (30 days after the goods are received). The rising U.S. deficit has caused the dollar to depreciate against the peso recently. The current exchange rate is 5.50 pesos per U.S. dollar. The 90-day forward rate is 5.45 pesos/dollar. The firm goes into the forward market today and buys enough Mexican pesos at the 90-day forward rate to completely cover its trade obligation. Assume the spot rate in 90 days is 5.30 Mexican pesos per U.S. dollar. How much in U.S. dollars did the firm save by eliminating its foreign exchange currency risk with its forward market hedg

Actual payment to be made = 200000*5.5 = 1.1 million peso to be made

Bought in forward = 1.1/5.45 = 201835

Rate after 90 days = 1.1/5.3 = 207547

Saving in $ = 207547-201835 = $5712

F. Naz, Bachelor's Degree
Experience: Have completed B.COM and CA Finalist