Marvin the Mechanic
Marvin the Mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mechanic for 36 years
32137885

We have a 2005 buick century. When it warms up, at slow

Customer Question

we have a 2005 buick century. When it warms up, at slow speeds it shudders. Our mechanic did not find anything on a diagnostic test, and he cleaned the throttle body, along with a new air and fuel filter. The car still shudders at slow speeds when warmed up. What may cause this?
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: every thing is the same as usual, except it shudders at slow speeds after it warms up.
JA: Are you fixing your Century yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have not touched the car. Our mechanic changed the fuel and air filters, and cleaned the throttle body. He also ran a diagnostic on the car and found nothing.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's about it, except it has approximately 117,000 miles on the odometer.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Marvin the Mechanic replied 14 days ago.

Does the vehicle shudder when it shifts? Have your mechanic drive the vehicle and command the torque converter off and see if still does it. Then command the converter on and try again. If it is not there when doing both tests then you have a torque converter that is slipping when it engauges.

Expert:  Marvin the Mechanic replied 10 days ago.

Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.