Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

When i step on brakes to go downhill my car starts jerking,

Customer Question

when i step on brakes to go downhill my car starts jerking
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 93 lesabre custom
JA: Are you fixing your LeSabre yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: haven't done brakes yet only tune ups
JA: How many miles are on the car? Are these the orignial brakes?
Customer: no i was told when I bought it they had new brakes put on it......car has 170,000 on it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that's it
Category: Buick
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

1- usually the disc rotors will be warped from excessive heat from braking especially if used a lot down hill

2-does the steering wheel shake as soon as you apply brakes and the hard you press on brakes the more violent the shaking is ?

3- I would take wheels off and inspect brake pads & rotors and see if there any groves in them

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the steering wheel has done the shaking only a couple times when going down a steep hill even when i drop down the gears

there is more to it than just brakes, a sway bar bushing ,ball joints ,sway bar end links etc..

but if it is more evident i would say the brake pads & rotors ,especialy if you never done brakes on it

the trans mount and engine mounts also needs checking ,but when you have it raised on lift you can check all under carriage pieces

Please let me know if you need anything else

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat