kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

My 2000 buick century has been over heating lately it has

Customer Question

Hi my 2000 buick century has been over heating lately it has been happening every other day for the last few days mostly after ive been driving for 100 or more miles. It drives great on the freeway and when it is over heating the overfill tank has some foam in it and almost to the top
Category: Buick
Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 months ago.

What color is the coolant in the over flow tank?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Orange

With the heat /ac unit off, and the engine up to temp, will the fans come on when the temp gets to about 220 degrees?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the fans come on

Is there a thin layer of black looking foam on the top of the coolant in the over flow tank ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no the foam is white

Is there any thing floating on top of the coolant with the coolant cool?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no there doesnt seem to be anything mixed int he coolant it still is bright orange.

What size engine do you have in your car?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the standard 3.1 engine for a 2000 buick century limited
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
was that a serious question i thought you were a certified buick mechanic?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
recently i had to replace the water pump and one of the small hoses that connect by the water pump this was a few months ago

Look on the drivers side of the engine where the transmission meets the engine. Is there any signs off coolant leaking in this area, more so around where the intake heads and block meet?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
is there any cheap repairs you reccomend doing today
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no there doesent seem to be any coolant leaking anywhere

Can you look and see if you have a coolant leak for me first? I hate to guess.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ive been checking for coolant leaks every day there is none becasue my coolant levels stay the same
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the only problem is when it over heats after driving it for too long or on the freeway the overfill tank will start to fill to the top and on top will be white foam
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
this has just started happening

If there is no colant leaking, the colant is clean, and the fans come on, then there has to be one of three problems, the water pump is not moving coolant correctly, the radiator is stopped up, or there is air trapped in the cooling system inside the engine itself. Have you bleed the system lately?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
yesterday i drove for about 4 hours and it happend once after getting off the freeway
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thats what a towtruck driver recoommended the other night when it overheated on the freeway that i need to bleed the air i was loosening one of the small 2 bolts where the air comes out and when i was screwing one back in the head snapped off
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
my buddy said i might need a new radiator cap becasue mine seems really old and doesnt seem to be working properly

Did you try to bleed the system with the engine runing or with the engine not running?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
should i do radiator flush and bleed the system and replace the radiator cap
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
with the engine not running
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
or coolant flush
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
because i put some stop leak stuff in a while ago that might be clogging somewhere my buddy also said

If you have stop leak in the system, then yes you should flush the system and make sure you have a good 50/50 mix of dex cool and water. Any stop leak should have been installed with the coolant system totally clean of antifreeze, and then flushed out and new coolant put back in. If the cap is getting old, then yes the cap should also be replaced.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
oh another problem i need to fix is my break booster could that also be adding to the problem it is really hard to break and i could hear air when i press on the break and it causes the car to want to stall

The booster will not cause an over heating problem. There must be a hole in on the of diaphragms in the booster. Now hold on, if the booster has a good enough vacuum leak, then the engine would be running to lean. The cats can get red hot, and yes this could cause an over heating problem.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thanks for your help looks like I need to fix break booster and flush / bleed system thanks for your help

You are very welcome.