Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Buick Mechanic
Experience:  GM, Chevrolet Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.
1609972

I have a 2007 buick rendezvous, need to replace the radio

Customer Question

I have a 2007 buick rendezvous, need to replace the radio amplifier but it is NOT in the location the service manual and everyone says it is (under the drivers side knee panel) I KNOW there is an amplifier installed, nothing has been removed or is aftermarket but I cannot find it's location anywhere in the car. I have removed every panel for the dash, and also even checked the drivers side door, any ideas to where the amplifier might be hidden??
Category: Buick
Expert:  Master auto tech. replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.

I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.

So I apologize that you haven't had an answer yet. I will try to help but I don't know if this will be much help sense you have the manual and the only place I have seen it is under the dash on the driver side. It is usually positioned between the park brake lever and steering column. It should be accessible after removing the Left IP panel then you press the tab to release it and it slides out of the bracket that holds it. If this is of no help to you and you want me to opt out and see if anyone else has any other idea I can.

I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.

Thanks

Sonny

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello, unfortunately the AMP is not in the location that you say it should be. It is nowhere to be seen anywhere under the driver's or passenger's side, I have removed every possible panel and triple checked along with every person I could get to help, it is simply not there. I have a fuse for both the radio and AMP and both fuses are in place and working. The radio was working fine until one day it sounded simply like someone turned down the volume and nothing since then. I can hear a very slight "buzzing" through the speakers that stops when I remove the fuse for the AMP, and starts again once I put the fuse back in place. If someone had previously installed an aftermarket radio and re-installed the factory radio and by-passed the amplifier, I would assume there would be at least the wiring harnesses where the AMP should be if they has by-passed it, but there is not even any signs of the AMP wiring under the drivers side panel. I am not an expert, but I have installed many aftermarket stereos in my life, and when I went to remove the stereo to test it, it looked as if this factory stereo has never been removed before. I know that 2007 was the last year for the Rendezvous, and I have owned 2 others before this (2002, 2004), and there are many things about this 2007 that are strangely different from my previous 2. Was there any service bulletin for this 2007 model year dealing with the amplifier? perhaps they moved it to a different location towards the end of production?My only other option is to simply trace the wires back from one of the speakers, but this will be quite involved as they all seem to be bundled into groups with other wires, and disappear into some not easily accessible places. I have the replacement amplifier in hand, so I can see the dimensions of the unit, and the few places I have not ripped into yet are because they simply seem too small for the amplifier to fit into.
Do you have an email that I can send a diagram too? I've been trying for an hr to get it to load but I think the site is messed up.
Unfortunately There isn't any bulletin on it being moved. :-/
Also can you by chance send me a pic of the new amp you got?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Here is a picture of the amplifier I purchased on eBay, it matches everything in the service manual. I took apart the entire dash and center consul as well as both front doors just in case yesterday, pulled back all the carpeting up front, cannot find any trace of any amplifier or evidence of there being one, not even a trace of wiring that appears to have been from an amplifier. Only place I have yet to check is to start ripping apart the back of the car and tailgate, but seems quite unlikely it would be there as the wiring would have to travel back to the front where the head unit is.... I have the wiring diagrams that come with the "chilton's" service manual that I have purchased online access to, but if you have any other idea, my email is***@******.***
Ok so I sent an email. Location # 16 is the diagram for your car. The one you got sent has the carrier on it as well. Your carrier might look a little different. I.e. Flat, painted black & metal
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Master auto tech. replied 2 months ago.
Well I'm out of ideas. I'll open it up to others. Sorry I couldn't help.
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 2 months ago.

not an answer, so please do not rate
What makes you believe there is a External Amplifier?
I have been GM / DELCO Radio Warranty for over 20 years & it is not uncommon for these vehicles to come "without" the external Amplifier, even if the option Codes or Build sheet says it has one.
I have also never seen the Amplifier mounted elsewhere "unless" there was a vehicle conversion or modification...........
just curious

.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Don, I automatically assumed there is an amplifier for several reasons, first the owners manual for car as well as the service manual states so. Also, there is a fuse "in place" in both the radio and amp location in the fuse block. I have of course verified both fuses were good and then also replaced both just to be safe. I can hear a faint "buzzing" from the speakers that stops when I remove the "amp" fuse and comes back once I put the fuse back in place.I did purchase a used replacement factory head unit first, as I thought this would work. It did come "locked" as I expected, but I removed the security chip from the circuit board and this unlocked the radio, which still did not make anything come out the speakers.I suppose it is also possible that this replacement radio is also not working correctly, and I would just purchase an aftermarket radio with the wiring harness adapter, but I am afraid that it would still not work if there is an amplifier in line that is dead. You state that it is not "uncommon" for these to not have the external amplifier even though the build sheet says so, if this is true, the same "stock" radio that comes with the car would still work with no amplifier? At this point this is the best explanation as I have literally torn apart every possible location inside this car and have not found the amplifier or evidence of there being one in place that may have been removed.Thank you for your input!

can you post a picture of the Radio that was in it, the Label on the Chassis, the back of the Unit & the Factory Harness Plugs
Also, do you have steering wheel controls for the radio & / or satellite

thanks