sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2002 Buick LeSabre (purchased a year ago) and the

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Buick LeSabre (purchased a year ago) and the exterior parking lights won't go off. This is even after the car has been shut off and locked for more than 10 minutes. What can I do?
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Will there be any assistance on this question?
JA: Are you fixing your LeSabre yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm just trying to get the parking lights to turn off. They don't seem to shut off no matter what I do and it will run down the battery.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: The exterior parking lights, not the headlights. The parking lights both front and back
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Buick
Expert:  Craig Manning replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** me just a minute to get some information together!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No problem.

Your vehicle has an automatic light control which may have a faulty part that is keeping you from turning the lights out.However the computer has a battery run down protection that should turn them off in 10 minutes after the ignition switch is turned off.here is a circuit operation that may help you.

The headlamps may be turned on 3 different ways. The headlamps will turn on when the headlamp switch is placed in the ON position. If the headlamp switch is left in the ON position, the headlamps will be deactivated after 10 minutes following a ignition switch transition to the OFF position and delayed accessory buss being deactivated because of the battery rundown protection. If the headlamp switch is turned on with the ignition switch in the OFF position, there is not a time out and the headlamps will remain on until the headlamp switch is turned off or the battery runs down. With the twilight sentinel in an ON position, the headlamps will automatically turn on during nighttime conditions when the ignition switch is in the ON or START position. With the twilight sentinel in an ON position, the headlamps will automatically turn on after 6 seconds when the windshield wipers are turned on and the ignition switch is in the ON position.

In my experience I have found that the lighting control switch usually causes the problem on these cars. If my information today has helped you please remember to rate my service and accept the answer, any follow ups for this issue would be no charge.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This answer does not answer my question at all. My car has been turned off for more than 40 minutes and the parking lights are STILL ON.

Yes, the switch fails internally causing the vehicle to think that the running lights are commanded to be on.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
how do we turn the running lights off?

Let me find the proper fuse to remove for you. The ultimate repair would be to replace the light control switch. Give me just one second.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What do we know?

Posting a diagram now just one second you want to remove fuse 24

Here is this diagram

If the step above does not solve the issue I will opt out. If the step does solve the issue I would appreciate it if you can rate my service and accept my answer, any follow ups would be no charge.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?