Joe
Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

Need a check list for a car that has been sitting for almost

Customer Question

Need a check list for a car that has been sitting for almost 10 years
JA: What is the model of your '10 Buick?
Customer: It's a 1987 grand national
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am. I just want to know what common problems these cars have
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Joe replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

You're going to want to check everything over just the same as anything else.

A car that has set for that long is generally going to be one that needs some level of restoration.

I highly suggest that the engine is not attempted to be turned over without checking fluids, changing the oil and putting some fogging oil down each cylinder and first turning engine a few times by hands to ensure lubrication.

Rust and corrosion will be things to also check for under the car.

A car of this type I would also be checking body for previous repairs of damage and that everything lines up.

Run engine casting number to make sure it matches.

Fuel might just need to be drained and changed, might need mild cleaning or may have caused major issues, you will want to open fuel system and inspect.

A car sitting that long will also generally have dry gaskets/seals that once started and used will form leaks.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hey Joe thanks again! Are you familiar with grand nationals ? I'm curious if there is anything particular I should do do, I know these cars are tricky with the turbos. I've heard to check the vacuum lines as well and to run a certain engine oil that has zinc additive in it. Is that true? I've had the car for almost 10 years in my parents garage and they finally let me clean the garage out and take the car to place. The motor was rebuilt before the car was parked with maybe 300 miles on it and 42k on the chassis. I'm guessing besides the things specific to the car I should do all that you said. I'm guessing probably go thru all the fuel lines as well? Tank, fuel filter, etc?