Pete, Buick Technician
Experience:  17 years Buick Technician experience and training.
14928985

2001 century stalled without warning. Tried to restart, will

Customer Question

2001 century stalled without warning. Tried to restart, will not crank, no solenoid or fuel pump noise. Had power to radio, flashers, heater fan, but not dashboard (fuel gauge or prndl)
JA: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?
Customer: Fuel is good, will not crank. Brand new battery was dead but accepted charge, but still nothing. Tested all relays and fuses. Removed alternator to have tested it was good. Crank turns by hand - not seized.
JA: Are you fixing your Century yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Will crank with a remote switch, but no fire.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: there are no error codes
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Pete replied 13 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This can be due to a fault with the electronic ignition switch in allot of cases.One or more terminals/contacts can fail in this switch itself.It would be a good idea to test this here.If you have a multi meter or test light I can walk you through this testing just let me know so we can begin.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I am away from the car and cannot test the switch. Is it the switch where I put the key, or is the switch under the steering column? I had to replace one of these on a Ford years ago. If I have to replace the key switch, does it need to be re-programmed?
Expert:  Pete replied 13 days ago.

I apologize for the delay.

It is located at the back of the key cylinder or under the key cylinder where you would put the key.The key cylinder attaches to it to rotate it.If you need info on how to test this here let me know.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you. If it were the fusible link between the battery and alternator, what amperage should the link be? Also is there an alternator fuse on this model?
Expert:  Pete replied 13 days ago.

Your welcome

This model has fusible links at the starter only from what I see as shown below.They connect to the starter main battery feed post.It may have 1 to 2 of these here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qjuo2d6nelwq8t9/fus-11-22.gif?dl=0

I do not recall the amperage for the fusible link but here is a chart that should help.

Wire size current table

18 gauge wire = 5-8 amps
16 gauge wire = 10-12 amps
14 gauge wire = 15-17 amps
12 gauge wire = 20-25 amps
10 gauge wire = 30-40 amps
8 gauge wire = 50-60 amps.

Colors

20 Gauge Blue
18 Gauge Brown or Red
16 Gauge Black or Orange
14 Gauge Green
12 Gauge Grey

Thanks Pete