Craig Manning
Craig Manning, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Certified Technician
97029787

Why is the Buick Lesabre Going Dead While Driving?

Customer Question

Why is the 2000 Buick Lesabre V6 3800 Series II Limited going dead while driving? I just put a fuel filter and a new fuel pump on it.
I took it to a shop I've tried the coil packs and I got a fuel injector changed also a alternator. It cranks right back up most times but occasionally it takes awhile to crank back up.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Craig Manning replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answers.
I think I can help you with your Buick, what year and engine size? Also do you have a Check Engine light on?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have check engine light on

Do you have the ability to retrieve the code from the ECM? Autozone will check the code for free in most places.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Didn't nothing show up but the catalytic converter.

Is this car dying on you when accelerating or is the issue only happening when your foot is off the gas?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Both

Do you have access to a fuel pressure tester?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did and it read that my fuel pressure was low so I got the fuel filter and pump changed
Have you checked the fuel pressure again since replacing the fuel filter and pump?
​Mass Airflow Sensors also tend to cause a very similar type of problem in these cars, they are easy to clean/replace. If you have access to a scan tool with live data then you could isolate a bad/dirty Mass Airflow Sensor, otherwise you would need to remove it and clean it using MAF Sensor safe cleaner (about $5.00 from Autozone). Once cleaned reinstall and test drive the vehicle to see if problem has resolved.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He took it off and cleaned it and oh that showed on the reading with the kadlic convert but he said it looked fine after that

Ok, so the next step would be to check the signal from the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS), if you have no signal or intermittent signal, the terminals on the vehicle side of the connector are bad for developing corrosion causing intermittent crank signal. If corrosion is observed in the connector then clean with an approved electrical connection cleaner, reconnect, and test drive to see if the issue has resolved. If you have intermittent signal from the CPS but the connector looks clean and intact most likely the CPS is beginning to fail and should be replaced.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks sir I'll keep you posted

Your welcome, let me know if you need additional assistance. Thank you for your business and if you would please rate my service, thank you!