Pete, Buick Technician
Experience:  17 years Buick Technician experience and training.
14928985

Lighter/accessory not working and light is on says door ajar

Customer Question

hi - lighter/accessory not working and light is on says door ajar and alarm randomly goes off. key fob not beeping back that car was locked. perhaps need new key fob?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the door switches?
Customer: no to both lol
JA: What is the model/year of your Buick?
Customer: looking up fuses diagrams too
JA: What year is your Buick?
Customer: 2006
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just me. nothing yet. issue started 3 days ago. i have time to attend to it today.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: hmmm no
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Pete replied 20 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me what model and engine liter size this vehicle is?

Did all of these issues occur at the same time here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Hi Pete!
2006 Buick Rendevouz, bought it 2 years ago. All fine till lighter/accessory quit a few months ago then last week the dash light came on 'door ajar' - no door open, i opened/closed all, and the lift door too. engine... hmmm idk. it's the smaller?
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I prefer the written word bc short term memory happens.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
engine is 3.5 V6
Expert:  Pete replied 20 days ago.

Were any fuses checked at all?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
i went to Google first and the answers there were to check fuses. which fuses? i googled that too. fuse #32. have not checked it yet. if its not the fuse, what's next?
Expert:  Pete replied 20 days ago.

In your center console check fuse 28 which is a 10 amp fuse and make sure it is o.k.If this is o.k. locate the 20 amp FRONT AUX fuse in the under hood fuse panel and make sure it is o.k. If any of these are blown the affected fuse will need replaced.If these are both checked and found o.k. let me know so we can continue from here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Hi Pete,Both of those fuses regulate the dash light 'door ajar', alarm and front aux? Dependent or independent of each other? I have the tool - i'll run out to auto parts store to get fuses.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I'll pop back in for a status update :-) thanks!
Expert:  Pete replied 20 days ago.

Those are tied into these functions/components here.You dont need a tester to check them.Usually you can remove them and inspect to see if the little metal band that runs in the middle of each fuse as seen through the plastic fuse housing is broken or burned.If broken or burned then the affected fuse needs replaced.Let me know what you come up with here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Hi Pete,
I switched out the fuses - the alarm is back to normal. I reset the driver personalization - that helped. The light for 'door ajar' is still on. Tomorrow I'll get a new key fob as the one i have may be faulty. Was reading that I could also change out fuse #30 for the instrument panel cluster/BCM. I'll get back to you! :-)
Expert:  Pete replied 19 days ago.

O.k.,let me know how this turns out here and if you need anything else.

Thanks Pete