Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Don't know how my 2001 Buick lesabre locked me out. Haven't

Customer Question

Don't know how my 2001 Buick lesabre locked me out. Haven't driving car in a month and now it has locked me out and won't crank my security light only stays on for a few min but can't even push car to try and move it. Please help.
JA: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?
Customer: When I first turn The car on it stays on for a few seconds and then after about two minutes it comes back on and stays solid And yes I just went through the 30 minute process of resetting it to have the same issues but I do not know if what I am reading is the correct way on how to reset my system
JA: Soon. I'm trying to find the right Buick Mechanic for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know.
Customer: Ok
JA: Are you fixing your LeSabre yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I'm fixing it myself I have disconnected the battery put it on a charger and went through the 30 minute process of turning your key for work for 10 minutes waiting for the light to go away shutting it off and turning it back on doing that three times
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

if you leave the key ON and jump the small starter wire terminal to the big power terminal at the starter solenoid will it crank over and fire up ? or just crank over and not fire up ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Where is that located.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

front lower of the engine

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. Yes starter wants to crank over
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

will it run with the key ON if you do that ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It just cranks won't run over.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
R u still there
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

i am here it take a bit to reply back

Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

if this will not run it shows the theft system is activated

and you tried the 30 minute relearn correctly i assume ?

if so can you see if there are any codes set in the computer ?

is the ignition lock cylinder in the steering column or in the dash ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm assuming I did the real learning things correctly do not know if I did it 100% correctly because it doesn't specify how to do it 100% No there were no codes on the computer or none flashed at me ignition is in the steering column
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

try it again following this

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF using a Master PASS-KeyIII Key (Black).
  2. Observe the Security telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn off.
  3. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  4. Repeat steps 1 through 3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.

IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the key information and/or passwords on the ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

1. Start the vehicle, the vehicle has now learned the key and password *****
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. Give me a few let me run through this. My key does not have a chip in it just so u know. It's just the key that is in key fob no 1
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

the chip is built into the key head that you can see

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You're saying I should see the chip part in the head of the key wonder if I have the correct number one key I have three keys a black one gray one that says valet and another black one on key 52 and I do not see a mark or spot where a chip would be.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

i said the chip was in the key head that you can NOT see

after the 30 minutes relearn it will learn any new key black you got

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well that didn't work
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

lets see if another expert has any ideas

hang on another expert will replay back to you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank u.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Weird thing is I was messing with my son cause it's his car with the alarm yesterday and now this.