Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

2012 Buick Regal GS. 43k on the clock. Brake howling type

Customer Question

2012 Buick Regal GS. 43k on the clock. Brake howling type noise once the car has been on the road for a while. Noticeable between about 35 and 55....and generally trails off after 55. Can be pronounced and louder with windows open when it happens. Tap brakes and noise stops immediately and then returns seconds after brakes are released. I'm assuming the issue is always there and just audible at certain speeds.
Right now I am thinking passenger side wheel and picked up a camera mount to isolate. Unfortunately, since it isn't always happening, can be a PITA to find. The car is still in warranty until January 2017, so would like this figured out before that date.
Since the car is under warranty, took to Buick, but was not impressed with service at all. They kept car three days, does not look like they removed tires and just said couldn't find issue. Told me they rotated tires and not a hand print on the Brembo dust all over front wheels (not going back to that place).
So question, what can cause this? Regals are known for rear wheel bearing issues.....but brakes killing noise makes that unlikely. In addition, when doing a few autocross runs, noise changed a bit on way home to more variable.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

Sounds like rust on the rotors rubbing on the pads. I would take apart the brakes and look at the pads for any groves.

Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

Sometimes you can sand the brake pads down with sandpaper to get the glaze off and the noise will go away.

Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will time out and close.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

Thanks