Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes,
Experience:  Lead Technician/ Manager at Precision Tune Auto Care
93804480

Buick Regal Is Blowing Hot Air Despite Any Temperature.

Customer Question

2012 Buick Regal is blowing only hot air no matter what I turn the temperature to, auto or not, A/C or not. I think it is the actual physical doors under dash not moving. I have not seen any coolant leaks.
What do you think? Just happened today.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 1 month ago.

I see, so are you saying that the temperature doesn't change at all as of today but as of yesterday and before, the air conditioning was working properly?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
correct. Sudden. I am leaning towards a system failure vs anything to do with the thermostat or coolant

I agree, it is impossible for the cooling system to cause this, because the heat is generated by that system and you are not describing a no-heat condition, it is an only-heat condition :-)

I would tend to agree with you that the problem seems on the surface to lie within the blend door controls...do you have passenger and driver dual zone climate control on this vehicle? also, is it an automatic or manual system?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I tried to set it to auto and had no affect and yes they are dual. Are you saying I should try to adjust passenger side to see if it goes ?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Turned car on and let run for 3 minutes to stabilize system then turned heat to 75 and felt temp rise in vent output. Then brought dial down to 72 and felt air immediate cool down (outside now Kent, OH 65 and rain). Going to surmise: Short, sticking door or switch, software issue. Any additions to that? I do wonder why it would be all heat all the time then fix itself after sitting for a few hours.

First of all, I am glad to hear that it is no longer emitting only heat! But, that does leave you with a sticky situation, because you have not done anything to actually fix this problem. I would assume that you are correct in that there is likely a sticking blend door actuator, but that will be nearly impossible to diagnose in the absence of an actual failure. I would recommend that you have the body control module scanned at a local shop (they should do this for free) and see if there are any codes related to this. Codes in the BCM related to climate control will rarely cause the engine light to illuminate but could prove to be invaluable in diagnosing an intermittent condition. I only recommend that you do this if the problem reoccurs...Good luck my friend!