Pete, Buick Technician
Experience:  17 years Buick Technician experience and training.
14928985

1996 Buick Regal, tail lights work but brake lights dont.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Has anything been checked or tested for this issue here at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Power at fuse, power at switch and I get power on the other side of the switch when the brake is pushed. In the truck at the 6 pin connector, I have a white wire that gets 12v (vehicle side of harness) when brake is applied but the tail light side of that harness doesn't have any wire going out to the brakes

Does the 3rd brake light work at all with this issue here?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No

Is this a 2 door or 4 door model?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
4 dr

Have you checked the bulbs in the 3rd brake light to see if the bulbs are burned out at all?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I haven't but I will

O.k.,the left and right brake light signals run from the brake switch on the white wire to the turn signal/multi function switch then out of this switch to the left and right brake lights.It is common for the turn signal/multi function switch to fail and cause this issue here but the 3rd brake light is on a separate circuit on the same white wire from the brake switch.Usually this light will work if it is the turn signal switch at fault.My guess from here is that the turn signal switch needs replaced to correct the left and right brake light issue and the 3rd brake light bulb(s) are burned out needing replaced as this is most common.If you find the 3rd brake light bulb(s) are o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Bulbs are burned out but there's power there when brake is applied.

I apologize for the delay.

O.k.,this indicates the brake switch is o.k. as well as the white wire.The fault is in the multi function/turn signal switch itself.This fails commonly and causes no voltage to the left and right brake lights with the switch needing replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yep a new switch fixed the problem! Thank you!

Your welcome