sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Keeps needing jump....check engine light goes on and off...

Customer Question

JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Stays on solid...was told that battery and alternator are "supposedly" fine...
JA: What is the model/year of your Buick?
Customer: 2011 Buick Regal Turbo
JA: Are you fixing your Regal yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Changed gas cap. Took to autozone store for machine diagnostic. Jumped it yesterday needed additional jump this morning....drove it for 20 minutes...parked and started right up.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of...will there be a charge for this service?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Buick
Expert:  david craig replied 1 month ago.

Hi Im David. thanks for visiting the site. did you get a fault code from autozone? if so what was it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No fault code this time....a month ago the light came on was told it was the "solenoid starter" possibly? Yet it never needed a jump before.

so when it needs a jump does it start everytime that its jumped?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sir....

do you have a multi meter?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No sir...

do you know anyone that does that you can use?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No sir....

ok. well the only thing i can suggest to you then is to make sure that the battery terminals are tight and have no corrosion on them. make sure the negative battery cable is tight and clean where it bolts to the engine and make sure the cable and small wire on the starter are tight and free of corrosion. a multi meter is really needed to do any more testing.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will a loose battery cable make check engine light come on? Can I contact u shortly possible with the old diagnostic code? Could this possibly be the solenoid?

a loose cable can cause many things. yes you can let me know. this will be open until we figure out what the problem is.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Battery cables tight....car needs another jump now.

who told you the battery was good?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Autozone stated it was good after putting a machine on it.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would a solenoid drain the battery?

no. but some thing is. thats why you need a meter so we can determine what is.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
u are unable to assist me without a multi-meter?

I am unable to assist you without a multi meter. yes. there is no other way to diagnose this issue.

if you are not satisfied with that, then i will opt out and see if another tech can somehow help you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If there is nothing more you can provide me other than the battery cable being loose and/or a multi-meter (that if I had I wouldn't have paid this fee). I will be requesting a refund from this service. Thanks anyway for your time.

you have a drain on your battery. theres nothing else that can be done without you having the proper testing equipment. good luck to you.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You have a component that is continuing to draw current when the key is off and everything should be at rest. This could be any component that receives a constant power feed including any module, the alternator, the radio, it may be a light coming on, an aftermarket amp or radio, etc.

An ignition off draw test needs to be done. An ammeter will need to be set up between a disconnected battery cable and it's post and after ten minutes if the current flow is more than 40 mA then the draw is present. At that point fuses could be removed one at a time to see when the draw drops and then concentrate on components on that circuit.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have been informed that it is my exhaust camshaft actuator solenoid valve control switch. Thank you.

That may be the cause of the engine light but that's a separate issue from the battery draw.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Camshaft position sensor when malfunctioning will cause vehicle to not start. Is that incorrect? Part of ICM,PCM and ECM module effectiveness. That's what my research says. Had it diagnosed and code P0013 came up.

A cam sensor not working would cause a long crank time and reduced engine power. It couldn't cause a battery draw or the engine to not crank.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had battery,alternator and starter all checked out today....all okay. Camshaft position sensor information says it will cause it to not start when I looked up the piece.

A cam sensor cannot cause the battery to die or a no crank condition. You have two separate problems.