sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

The passenger door on my 2004 Rainier is completely dead.

Customer Question

The passenger door on my 2004 Rainier is completely dead. The mirror, window, heated seat, and lock aren't working. The switch itself still works, if connected to the drivers side wires.
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?
Customer: No, the coolant will make the door stop working?
JA: Are you fixing your Rainier yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I took the switch out and hooked it up to the drivers side wires and the switch is still working. Then I hooked the master switch up to the passenger side wires and nothing would work. I have tested the module for passenger side and it still has power going to it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Thank you, ***** ***** is all the info I have so far.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Buick
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oh and the key fob also won't unlock the passenger door either.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the switch has been ruled out and there is power there then odds are you're messing ground due to a broken wire.

When you open the door you will note a rubber boot between the door and body. This is where the wiring harness runs from the door to the main harness. This wiring flexes each time the door is opened and closed and can eventually break. Broken wiring in this boot is a common cause for items on a door not working. It may take some electrical testing to determine what you have going on but the first thing I would recommend is taking a look at the wiring in the boot.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much, I really want that door to work.

You're welcome!