Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

I have a 2005 buick rendezvous. I have a wet drivers side

Customer Question

I have a 2005 buick rendezvous. I have a wet drivers side floor mat. I'm looking for the ac drain hose/fitting to see if it is plugged and backing up water on the floor. Can't find it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Buick
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't have a hole in the floor and the wet mat is water not coolant, just in case you ask.
Expert:  david craig replied 1 month ago.

Hi Im David. has it been raining where you are?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no

there is a TSB(technical service bulletin) addressing this concern. There is a 90degree extension tube that needs to be installed at the end of the drain to keep the condensation from weeping back into the vehicle.

1. Raise the vehicle.
  2. From underneath the vehicle, locate the HVAC case drain tube. Determine the best access route to the evaporator drain, as you will need to place a bead of sealer around the outside of the HVAC case drain tube and install the new rubber drain tube elbow and bridge the area to the sheet metal of the cowl.
  3. Place a thin film of silicone on the inside of the new rubber elbow.
  4. Place the rubber elbow over the HVAC drain tube with the outlet pointing down.
  5. With gloves protecting your hand, place a line of RTV sealer onto the area between the rubber elbow and the sheet metal of the cowl and spread it out smoothly with your finger.
  6. Lower the vehicle and inspect the sealed area from the top down. Be sure not to plug the HVAC outlet drain tube with the sealer.
  7. Verify the proper operation of the heater/air conditioning blower motor in all speeds. If operation is not OK, service in the normal manner.
  8. Vacuum the carpet, underlayment and floor of the vehicle of all water. Roll the carpet back to access the floor.
  9. Position a heat lamp and fan so they are focused on the affected area of the carpet underlayment to speed the drying process.
  10. Spray the affected area with an odor neutralizer.
  11. When the underlayment is dry, reposition the carpet.

from underneath the vehicle, towards the passenger side on the firewall is the drain exit. It will be almost straight across from where the right cv axle meets the transfer case.
without the elbow there, you will have to reach up and feel along the firewall for the exit drain hole. once you find it, use a vacuum hose to suck out the debris, or even use a short length of coat hanger wire to insert into the drain and try to clean out the debris.

you will need to have the elbow installed to prevent this from happening again

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The vehicle is on the hoist and Im looking for the tube now.

ok

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Your description of the location of the drain seems clear enough but I can find nothing there

its really tough to locate. let me see if i can find a better diagram

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay there is absolutely no drain hose there

there has to be. its actually not a hose. its a hole.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I cannot find any hole what so ever. It's on the Hoist my head is 1 foot away and I'm looking straight at it I stuck my hand up there I felt around every square inch there's no hole that's actually why I got a hold of you guys because I don't know where it is

and im telling you where it is

it may be under a small cover behind a line

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The only cover that I can see is a large black asbestos looking cover that sits directly against the firewall behind the alternator it's quite high up other than that there are no covers what's so ever.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
that large black cover I spoke of seems to be adhered to the firewall

did you look at the attached diagram?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It seems very straightforward I just don't have what's in the picture

gimme a sec

if you cant find it, then you will need to pull back the carpet and look for where the drain hose goes to the firewall. that diagram is the best one i got.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I appreciate the fact that you can only give me the information that you have but I don't feel like you solved my problem. I mean no offense personally

i cant be there to show you where it is. i told you and gave you a diagram of the location. you are missing it. it is very difficult to locate but its there. how is that not solving your problem? you need to move things around and find it.