Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

I have a 2000 Buick Century with the ubiquitous

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Buick Century with the ubiquitous odometer/PRNDL display problem that I repaired replacing the 4 resistors. There is a twist to the problem in this car however in that as soon as the parking brake is released the display would go out again. The only way to get it to come on again was to restart the car. As an experimentI released the parking brake BEFORE starting the car and those little resistors turned to smoke as soon as I turned the key to start. So my question is: How is the parking brake tied into the instrument panel?
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Cary York replied 16 days ago.

Hi, I’m Cary and I’ll be helping you today.
Please understand that I can't smell, hear, or touch the vehicle, so patience is appreciated. Before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating..

What lead you to replace the 4 resistors to begin with?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I looked on the internet when the problem first cropped up and found this repair written up or video recorded by several people who claimed success.
Expert:  Cary York replied 16 days ago.

I do not have a diagram for the vehicle. I will opt out so another expert can help.