Pete, Buick Technician
Experience:  17 years Buick Technician experience and training.
14928985

I am considering the purchase of a 2007 Buick Lucerne for my

Customer Question

I am considering the purchase of a 2007 Buick Lucerne for my college age son. It has 98000 miles, and the owner has a receipt to show tires that have about 5000 miles use on them. We had a mechanic perform a prepurchase inspection, and he said the front tires will need to be replaced in about 6 months, and that we should have a tire rotation done right away as it looked like one had not been done before. The tires appear to have good thread on all tires to me, so it confused me. After researching I have learned that this year is known for tire problems due to chrome wheel corrosion, and I am wondering if this could explain the discrepency, and that even the mechanic may not have noticed this. Could the mechanic discover an issue with the tires with a tester that is unrelated to the actual tread on the flat surface, and that tester is picking up cracks on the side? When I look at the tires in a close up picture they do appear to have a gold or yellow tint to much of it.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The chrome wheel issue was a fault with air leaking past the tires due to chrome wheels causing low tires which can cause uneven wear on a tire.I would inspect all surfaces of the tire for any abnormal wear inside and out.If all tires are o.k. and there is no abnormal wear most likely the tires are o.k.

If there is uneven wear this can be caused by low tires at one or more points due to chrome wheels or that the front end alignment is off.It would be a good idea to have the alignment checked to make sure it is o.k. as this is known to cause tire wear.

If the vehicle sat for a long period of time this can cause flat spots to develop on the tires which in turn can cause them needing replaced.

Tire rotations are usually best done every 3,000 to 5,000 miles to keep tires in good shape.

These would be the only reasons I would see to replace the front tires.If you do not see any issues yourself with them you might get another second opinion (hands on) to see if another mechanic or shop thinks they need replaced and why they need replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete