Roy Belding
Roy Belding, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master ASE since 1980
3506196

2002 Buick Rendezvous with 3.4 motor. I keep getting a check

Customer Question

2002 Buick Rendezvous with 3.4 motor. I keep getting a check engine light and when I have it scanned it comes up as P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor. The car starts and runs just fine. Any thoughts?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Great, thank you
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

The common cause for the code P0341 to set on your 3.4 is in most cases caused by a failing Camshaft Position sensor , that being said its best to test it before replacing it. Are you able to do the testing?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Don't know how to test it. I got the code at an auto parts store
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Well if you can get some help with testing it I have enclosed the steps. I suppose you could just replace the sensor and see it it resolves the code but testing is always the best step to assure your not throwing parts at it . See the steps in the link below for testing it as well as the sensor location. I will help you any way I can from here.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Cam%20sensor%20location%20Sept%2024.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Cam%20sensor%20Sept%2024.pdf

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. Let me give it a shot and I will get back to you
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Your very welcome and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've tried to figure out the instructions you sent me about testing but they make no sense. They state red/white wire and it doesn't exist. No clue what pin A or C are.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

The pins at the sensor are marked. If you take a close look at them you should be able to see them.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm confused by number 5. If there is a good volt signal at the PCM, it has a bad PCM?
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

That means if you are getting the square wave signal from the Sensor back to the PCM and the PCM is not reading then that would indicates its bad. Do you have the square wave pattern from the sensor at the PCM?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have no idea what you're talking about
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

The cam sensor crates a square wave signal the is sent to the PCM, if the PCM can not read it then it would be a bad PCM. If the Cam sensor is not producing the signal then the sensor would be bad.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I would know this how? I am not a mechanic or electrician.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Unfortunately if you are not able to do the testing then you are going to need someone who can help you. I can not do that from here. You could just go ahead and replace the sensor and gamble on it being the proper fix but testing is usually the standard procedure to verify if in fact that is the case. I am not sure how to advise you from here. If you would like me to open the post back up for you I can do so. Let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just need someone to tell me how to do the test. Yes, please open up the question again.
Expert:  Roy Belding replied 4 months ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

in order to do the test Ron was telling you is to have a scope. I assume you dont have a scope.

do you have a volt meter???

Roy

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't have a scope, didsn't know I needed one. I can probably get a volt meter. If I do, whats next?

ok, since you are not familiar with testing, you need to check for 5 volt reference signal to the sensor. if you have that signal, most cases is that the sensor has failed. the signal return that Ron spoke about cannot be tested unless you have a scope. like I said, if you have the 5 volt reference voltage, replace the sensor.

does that make sense???

Roy

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Let me try it and I will get back to you.

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy

how did you make out

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I live in the middle of the prairies. I'm still trying to find a volt meter

ok