Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Technician
Experience:  20 years of experience, tune up, electrical, general repair

Ran my 2010 Buick enclave low on oil it stalled wouldn't

Customer Question

Ran my 2010 Buick enclave low on oil it stalled wouldn't start put oil back in motor now it runs really bad check engine light is on code's or misfiring c On 12 & 3
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Canuck Tech replied 1 month ago.

Extensive internal engine damage. You will need to find a new engine and a good mechanic. Sorry to break the news.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The car runs fine on interstate for a as far as I want to go just want run go on idle don't run hot are anything

were you able to pull any trouble codes?

besides the misfire codes?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I changed the spark plugs and cleared the codes drove the car about 30 miles engine light came back on this time it gave me 21 different codes when I changed the plugs I also put coils 1 2 & 3 in the place of 2 4 & 6 to see if it would give me the same misfiring codes of 1 2 & 3 and it did plus a gang of others such as crankshaft sensor in 18 others

You have introduced a few variables into the rough running equation. So the engine got low enough on engine oil that it stalled. Something seized up. It cools off, you add oil, it will run. But, it misfires. These engines were known for timing chain and camshaft issues. Low oil will cause wear in the timing chain, and in the camshaft lobes and followers.

I'm sorry... low oil is a death sentence for an engine. It may have skipped the timing chain when the oil was low. This could explain the camshaft sensor code.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Why do it run so good on hwy
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It runs rough when idling at 4000 rpm but if I raise it up to 1100 it runs good

"Running good" is a subjective term. Once you are up to speed, you won't feel misfires in the engine. I suppose a possibility for misfires on 1,2, and 3 could be an intake plenum leak, but why would it start mysteriously at the same time the engine ran out of oil???

Think about this... it was running fine until it ran out of oil. It starts running poorly and starts setting many engine trouble codes. So it is logical to assume that the running out of oil incident had a negative effect on the engine. I would not recommend throwing any more parts at the engine until you see a mechanic.