Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

2003 Buick century custom with 175,000 miles. The car is

Customer Question

2003 Buick century custom with 175,000 miles. The car is hard to start after sitting for a while and then starts fine. Checked fuel pump and has pressure of around 55 psi. I had crank relay go out yesterday and replaced it . I was hoping that might be the problem but still is hard to star
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: The car has a little over 175,000 miles. Starts fine once intialley started. The car does not have to be completely cool to be hard to start
JA: Are you fixing your Century yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I have been working on it. The car belongs to my wife's niece and she does not have a lot of money so i am helping her out. All I have done is check fuel pressure and it is around 55 psi with regulator connected. I also replace the crank relay on the car. Nothing else except did replace plugs and wires
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is about it. I do have a "Service Vehicle soon light on but no codes in the scanner
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Buick
Expert:  david craig replied 1 month ago.

Hi Im David, since its been sitting a while it may have some bad gas, but anyways, pull the throttlebody, idle air control valve and egr valve and thoroughly clean them with either brake parts cleaner or throttlebody cleaner. also clean the mass airflow sensor. see if all of that helps

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. I will try that. If that does not work. How to I contact you got further ideas ?

on here... i will keep this open....

any update?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have not had time. That cat developed another problem that I had to fix over the weekend but what you told me makes sense. I did get a chance to buy throttle body cleaner over the weekend

OK...well im here for ya

Expert:  david craig replied 29 days ago.

checking in to see how its going