Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.

1997 buick century rear view removal, I have removed the

Customer Question

1997 buick century rear view removal
JA: Are you fixing your Century yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have removed the plastic piece that hides the wires to the 2 lights , but there is a another plastic piece around the bottom of the mirror mount which prevents pulling up the mirror to slide it off
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: the rear view mirror has 2 small lights on bottom for map reading or
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: after you remove the plastic shroud around the piece glued to the windshield, the mirror should just pull upward an disconnect the wires; removal of the plastic shroud is the problem
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

There should be a set screw that hold the mirror to the mount that is glued to the glass.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

It should be a t25 or t30 torx

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The plastic shroud removal is the problem; then simply pull upward
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

I don't think I can help on this without seeing it. I will opt out and another expert will help shortly.

Expert:  Clayso replied 1 month ago.

Hi There,
This is Clay, I'm a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

I'm not sure if you still need help with this mirror. To remove the mirror use a small flat bladed tool to lift the tab up at the mirror supports bottom. The tab should be slightly pried away from the glass towards the mirror. Once the tab is released the mirror will slide up and off of the mirror support button attached to the glass.

I hope this information is helpful. Let me know if you need any help with the electrical circuit to the map lights. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Solved the problem; there is a metal clip that holds the mirror onto the piece glued to the windshield. Simply take a small flat blade screw driver and pry off the metal
Clip from either side. After clip removal, simply pull up from from the piece glued to the windshield. Remove the leads to the mirror for the light which has two lights. Some lights have a small rectulangular connector and others have a long narrow connector. There are about 6 to 8 types of mirrors for the Buick century within a few years. Problem stumped 2 people at body shop & 3 shop people at GM dealer ship. #6 guy at salvage yard solved the problem. He confirmed the various models......
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 month ago.

I understand completely. I read 3 different ways and have run into 2 of them with my own Buick's. My technical information was spread out over several years and I had to jump around from the Century's, Regal's to the Park Avenue's just to see all of the options.

Glad you got it figured out.