Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

2000 buick century 3.1. sat for 2 weeks now I have no door

Customer Question

2000 buick century 3.1. sat for 2 weeks now I have no door locks,power windows,radio, dome light, and no starter, checked fuse link at starter is just one,all fuses and relays ,circuit breakers. have good bat voltage, engine will start if I jump selinoid with key on but dies after a few seconds. no code set, fuel pump works with key. have all gauges and warn lights. power mirror and power seats work also back up lights work when in rev.

Category: Buick
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 3 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer. ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also give you all of the information you may need in good faith expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

Do you have a scan tool and a test light? Volt Meter?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

yes I have a scan tool that reads codes and info from engine. test light and volt meter.

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 months ago.

What codes do you have? Do you have a security light on?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

no codes, set-or pending. sec light comes on only with the key showing all lights then goes back off with others after system bootup. there are no chimes,key-door-headlights. the key turns on but nothing other than the dash happens. the shift indicator stays lit with key on. all appears normal. no chimes no door locks no start.

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 months ago.

I assume you have checked for blown fuses? the underhood fuse box is known for problems. Un bolt it and tip it over and look for rust corrosion or broken wires.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

I checked for bat voltage, it was present but I did not look on outgoing side on back. I will do so right now, and let you know.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

I checked for bat voltage, it was present but I did not look on outgoing side on back. I will do so right now, and let you know. 2:05 pm , I just checked back of fuse block voltage present on all contacts. Have good engine and body ground.

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 months ago.

OK

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

this is the problem, everything looks fine, have bat voltage at obvious points, fuse boxes,alternator, starter, fuse link, dash lights, still no start,

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 months ago.

Remove the crank relay and check for power and ground.

You should have 1 power without key on.

1 Power with key in run position

1 ground when in crank position. Hook end of test light to positive battery and use probe to check for ground. light should light when in crank position.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

I checked for continuity on ignition switch, nothing on primary wires, took box apart and have 4 0f six contacts with black corrosion or burn, I think it is wore out, awaiting delivery of new one, if that doesn't do it I will try crank relay. will get back to you in a few days.

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 months ago.

OK. Just let me know.