Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

I have a 1998 buick lesabre that starts for 2 seconds then

Customer Question

I have a 1998 buick lesabre that starts for 2 seconds then dies. If I leave the key in and try to restart the car it won't. If I take the key out and put it back in, it will start for 2 seconds then die again. I got a code of P1629 from the cars computer. The security light is not on so that eliminates the VATS system. Any suggestions?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Expert:  Jerry replied 5 months ago.

The PASS-Key II (R) module produces the Theft Deterrent Fuel Enable signal when ignition is ON and the proper key resistor pellet is sensed by the PASS-Key II (R) module. The PCM monitors the Fuel Enable signal during crank. If the proper signal is present on the Theft Deterrent Fuel Enable circuit, the PCM enables fuel delivery to allow the engine to start. If the PCM detects that the fuel enable signal is not present or is incorrect while an attempt is made to start the engine, DTC P1629 will be set. The engine will not start as long as this condition is present. If the problem also affects inputs to the PASS-Key II (R) module, the starter motor may be disabled.

There is a test for "Engine Does Not Crank Or Start But SECURITY Indicator Operates Normally" as well.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The car starts then dies.
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 months ago.

If the proper signal is present on the Theft Deterrent Fuel Enable circuit, the PCM enables fuel delivery to allow the engine to start. If not they will normally start for one or two seconds and then die.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Isn't the car getting the correct signal since the security light goes out after I stick the key in the ignition?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Would overriding the VATS fix the problem?
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 months ago.

Normally if the problem is in the ignition cylinder, (or key) it can be easily bypassed, yes.

Expert:  Jerry replied 5 months ago.

Where did you go?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just replaced the dead battery from cranking it. Now when I start the car the motor starts revs up to 4,000 RPM then dies!
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 months ago.

I see, thanks. Is there a reason that you don't see that as a Passkey 2 issue?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
in your opinion bypassing the vats with using resistors should do it?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
A friend of mine who does the automatic car starters said that wouldn't solve the problem. So I am stuck between two different opinions
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 months ago.

Yes, opinions don't really mean much without the proper testing. There are many areas of the security system that could be at fault.

Expert:  Jerry replied 5 months ago.

Where did you go?