Gary
Gary, Buick Technician
Experience:  15 years master GM tech and mater ASE tech
19513769

My Buick Lacross went dead when I tried to start it and key

Customer Question

Hello. My Buick Lacross went dead when I tried to start it and key was stuck in the ignition and won't come out. I thought it was the battery, but after about 20 minutes power just came back. Now I stopped somewhere else and it happened again.
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Can't turn steering wheel i believe. the key is ok. It's 2010 Buick so not that old
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I don't know what to fix. It went dead and came back alive. Then went dead again. I am at the point to just be able to drive it home for now
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Is this a known issue you can point me to?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

will the horn work ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't think it worked before. Certainly not now
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.

can you remove and clean both battery cable connections then reconnect both battery cables up to the battery will full power come back ?

are any of the battery cables hand loose ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't know. I can't even open the trunk to get jumper cables to see if it works. Trunk wont open with the key stuck. I'm a woman and don't do cars
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok i just moved one of the cables on the battery and power came back. Not sure it's a coincidence or not. Problem solved for now
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.

this 2010 Lacrosse the battery should be located under the hood

with a total power loss and it will come back to full power when it wants too this issue will usually be a bad battery cable connection at the battery or the ground on the engine or a loose connection at the under hood fuse box

if you can get the hood open and have someone check those things for you or even try a jump start

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.

get the car to the local shop and have them tighten the battery cables

im glad its started up for you now

dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.

anytime