Kevin Bourcier
Kevin Bourcier,
Experience:  Owner/Technician at Max Air Mobile

1998 Buick Lesabre Custom. The blower switch high (has 4

Customer Question

1998 Buick Lesabre Custom. The blower switch high (has 4 speeds)setting stopped working. Several months later the med-high went out, then the med-low went out then the low went out. So we replaced the switch with a new one (made in Japan). All the speeds worked with the new switch except the high. [We were thinking that the high may be controlled by a fuse, but the mechanic couldn't find it. However, another problem was now noticed, the fan motor sometimes would just not turn-on, then after a few minutes it would come-on on its own. [Also if you tap it with a stick it will start.] Also, when removing the knob from the temperature selector sliding lever (above the blower switch) the lever broke-off. -- So, we got a whole new panel from a salvage yard. Now all the fan speeds work but all are the same speed and very low regardless of what setting the switch is set to. -- How can we determine if the blower motor is defective? How can we determine if a fuse controls just the high blower setting? How can we determine if the temp selector/blower switch assembly from the salvage yard is defective? -- What exactly do I need to tell the mechanic so this problem can be resolved?? Another question: The A/C compressor has a leak. What is the BEST stop leak to use to attempt to stop this leak?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Kevin Bourcier replied 2 months ago.

hello . I can assist you here . the first thing you will need to do is see what the voltage is at the blower motor with the fan speed switch set to high or Max .

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks. I will get that voltage reading for you. It will probably be about 24 hours before I will have the number. NEW INFORMATION: With the panel from the salvage yard which is currently installed, all the fan speeds have begun to work except for the HIGH setting. Again, this is the same as it was with the new switch (from Japan) which was previously installed.

sounds good . I have included the blower wiring schematic . just be sure that all the fuses in this schematic are good .

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks. Received the schematic.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. The mechanic said the voltage at the med-high speed is 10, and at the high position (which will not work with any of the blower switches we've used) was 4 then it jumped to 12 volts. He said they checked all the fuses and they were good.

when the voltage at the blower was on the Hi setting , the voltage was at 4 Volts and then jumped to 12 Volts ? was he measuring this with the Blower plugged in and did the blower speed change ( to full speed ) at 12 volts ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will find out and get back with you. The high setting will never work. Also the fan sometimes will not come back on after it is shut off. I will find out more of what you have asked for and reply back.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The blower was not plugged in. He measured voltage from the end of the plug.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We just put in another blower. Now it blows steadily without stopping. However the high speed still does not come on. -- The mechanic can't figure it out. He took the plug out of the blower and put his voltage probe into the ground side, then put the other into,the live side. With the fan selector switch on high it measured 12 volts. However, when he replaced the live probe with the test light probe the light did NOT come on. Then, leaving the ground probe in the ground side of the plug and touching the test light probe to the positive on the battery, the light came ON. Even though it registered 12 volts at the plug, the test light would not come on.

he needs to check the purple wire from the motor back to the fuse panel and the control head . If you look at the diagram you can see a splice in that circuit check the splice . also check the terminal ay the control head to see if it looks " burnt "

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Monday morning the mechanic will attemp your latest suggestion. I appreciate all your help so far.

no problem . happy to help