Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Rough idle on 96 buick skylark, just now replaced fuel

Customer Question

Hi, rough idle on 96 buick skylark, just now replaced fuel filter, plugs, and tested fuel pressure and seems to be good (meets manual spec) although on the low end of the allowable range. motor also jerks on feathering decell. Not sure where to go from here?
JA: Is the fuel filter an external one, or is it inside the tank? Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The filter is external, and changing it made no significant change. I also checked fuel pressure, reads good for idle, pressure regulator also seems to be functioning normally, when I unplug vac line to regulator, pressure increases by 8-10 psi.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That is all that I know for now, except it runs smooth on acceleration, but jerky on slight deceleration,
Category: Buick
Expert:  Roy Belding replied 3 months ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

what motor??

what was the exact fuel pressure??

are there any codes???

Roy

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Roy, the pressure at idle with the vaccum line connected to the pressure regulator the pressure is 41psi, when the vac line is off the regulator the pressure goes to 49psi.
I have not yet checked the codes, I plan on doing this today.

when you removed the vacuum line from the regulator, was there any fuel coming from the regulator

Roy

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no, the diaphragm appears to not be leaking.

ok

I reviewed your account and see you have not rated anyone positive since 2012. this is not a free web site an we dont get paid unless you accept our answers. I am sure you want to be paid when you go to work.

we only get a small portion of what the site charges you. we only get that when you accept our answers.

maybe another tech will pick this up. but I cannot afford to work for free

have a good day

Roy

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have already paid $44.00 and the rating thing above wont let me select a rating, so what do you mean?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Second, I have not used this site since 2012, you should check these things before you criticize about payment.
Thanks.
Expert:  david craig replied 3 months ago.

Hi Im David, lets see if we can fix you up here without unnecessary problems, first of all lets checvk the strength of your spark, do you have a spark tester?

do you still need assistance?

hello???

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 3 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

Did you still need assistance?