Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. certified

Leaking coolant in back just in front and above muffler,

Customer Question

leaking coolant in back just in front and above muffler, odd!! just started today
JA: How old are the hoses? And have you tested the actual mix of your coolant?
Customer: coolant flush six weeks ago
JA: What is the model/year of your Buick?
Customer: 2001 buick regal ls
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just notice fluid on drive way not sure of next step. location of leak is odd
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no at this time
Category: Buick
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

Here is what to do. Rent or borrow or purchase a coolant system pressure tester, get a large piece of clean cardboard, allow the engine to cool down, remove the radiator cap and top off the coolant, open up the cardboard and slide it under the vehicle in between the front two tires, far enough back that it is slightly behind the firewall and reaches out to just in front of the radiator, from side to side, then attach the cooling system pressure tester, pump up the cooling system to 15psi, then lay on the ground looking and waiting for the very first drip to hit the clean cardboard, then look directly above that and find the leak. The 15psi on the system will make it leak much worse and easier to find.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

JustAnswer® is not a free service. I work hard to make sure you're satisfied with my service and I only get credit for my answers based on your rating. Once you're satisfied, please leave a positive rating.