Pete, Buick Technician
Experience:  17 years Buick Technician experience and training.

My key is stuck in the ignition, Not worn or damged. Car

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. My key is stuck in the ignition
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Not worn or damged. Car drives fine. Can start and turn wheel
JA: What is the model/year of your Buick?
Customer: 2011 Enclave
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'd like to or car battery will go dead. If I can't then I'm heading to a repair shop today
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Category: Buick
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.I apologize for any delay.

If the key is not turning all the way back to be removed but the engine starts and vehicle operates properly the most common cause is a fault with the park release solenoid at the shifter itself.It sends a signal letting the electronics know that the car is in park to then allow the key to be turned off and removed.I have seen this solenoid fail several times before in the past needing replaced for this issue here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.A 5 star rating is appreciated.Thanks Pete