Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. certified
20625509

I have terrible road noise in my wheels. Really loud. Worse

Customer Question

I have terrible road noise in my wheels. Really loud. Worse when slowing down to stop. Not my tires and not my bearings.... please help..what is it
Category: Buick
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Could it be the viscosity joint
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Need help fast...urgent
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

Front or rear wheels?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

Just a note; they are called constant velocity joints.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

If the rear, you should be able to just jack up the rear and spin each wheel by hand and listen for the noise. If the front, I would suggest getting the front at least 1 foot off the ground on a lift, start the engine, place in gear and drive the front wheels, turning the steering wheel left and right and if the noise is present, try to pinpoint it with a stethoscope.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

Normally cv-joints make a clunking noise when turning right and left going forward or reverse.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

Hello, are you there?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
here. No clunking noise. Just terrible noise on the road. Cannot tell if it is one side or the other or front or back. Almost sounds like transmission.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

I suggest getting it up on a lift then like I said.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Have already done these test for last 2 hours now
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No noise no vibrations
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

Can you hear the noise then while up on a lift?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No none
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

Are you spinning the rear wheels, and the front wheels turning right and left?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Maybe did not turn right and left
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Have already replaced bearings and tires
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

Yes, turn right and left, rev the engine through all the gears, too and also apply the brake while the front wheels are spinning.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

Stop replacing parts until you know for sure.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

Are you still at the shop?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Going to do this now
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Everything all sounds the same. No noticeable differences in noise of vibration
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Or
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

So if you sit in the drivers seat, having someone lese spin the rear wheels and you turning the steering wheel left and right, while the engine is running, reved up going through all the gears, are you saying you cannot hear the noise?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Correct
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

If not, then you are going to need to use some chassis ears in order to pinpoint the noise while driving.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Where do I get them
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

They have new ireless and the old type with wires, here is the google shopping page https://www.google.com/#q=chassis+ears+steelman&safe=off&tbm=shop

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
they will pinpoint a noise that will be the problem
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Guess I am about ready to try another shop. This is getting ridiculous. What could the other problems be? The ones we are listening for?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

You would one of each or the listening items on near each wheel, then listen while you drive, for the one that makes the loudest noise, then slowly move all of the other ones toward that wheel until you completely surround the noise and then you will know where it is coming from.

I believe it comes with 6 of those listening things.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

So you want me to guess and you replace more parts or would you rather pinpoint what it is? I can do the later.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

Have you had a mechanic drive with you yet and have them hear the noise? A mechanic can shift into neutral while driving and shut off the engine to eliminate some things as the problem. Plus pull on the parking brake while driving to see if the noise is coming from the rear, etc.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry but this is all time and money...just exhausted...how can such a terrible road noise at all speeds be so hard to find
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

I would invest in the chassis ears or find a shop that has a pair, they are only like $100 so just about every shop should have a pair, especially any tire shops.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

Well, I can not listen to it. You could purchase a $10 android cellphone, make a audio recording and post it and I'll listen to it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Have already been told it was bearings and then told it was tires. So if they have these then why were we lied to
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This noise is very loud. Sounds like a four wheel drive with worn out tires. Whom whom whom loud
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
if u have had this same problem before shouldn't u know what it is
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

If I had had this problem before I would have done said so.

What you should be doing is just tell the service manager you have a noise, test drive the vehicle and have them listen and confirm that they can hear it, Then agree to only pay when the noise is gone, if they want to try replacing this or that part and charge you no matter if the noise is gone or not, tell them NO! If they don't agree to fix the noise and only charge you when it's gone and only charge you for the one specific item that fixed it, not try 10 items and then the 10th fix it and charge you for the first 9. tell them to remove the first 9 cause you aren't paying for them.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

Now, I would get a lawyer or file a small claims suit yourself, pay the $25 or so court cost filing fee and sue whomever replaced all these parts and didn't fix the noise so you can get your money back.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. If you have any more questions, go ahead and ask.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

So, what did you decide?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My wife is in tears and I am sick of spending money on it. Just makes u sick to hear all this horrible noise and no one seems to have the answer. They tell u something but it doesn't resolve it. Sorry u can't help us either
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

Why don't you go get a $10 cell phone at the dollar store, take an audio recording from sitting in each seat and hanging the cellphone out the window close to the car, like where the outside mirror is and send this recording to me, either through here or upload it to youtube and let me hear it.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

I am so surprised a mechanic could not find and fix that noise.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

have you had anyone at all find the source of that noise yet?