Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. certified

I have a 65 buick special with a 73 350 and i just had head

Customer Question

i have a 65 buick special with a 73 350 and i just had head gasket work done and now its running ruff at idle almost like its missing
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue? What size is your engine?
Customer: yes its the first time i blew a head gasket about 3 weeks ago but it never overheated just old gasket i had the work done now it runs ruff and running temp around 200
JA: What is the model of your '73 Buick?
Customer: not sure what the motor came from its in a 1965 buick special its a 350 with a TA performance intake and eldebrock carb
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i replaced the plugs i was going to check the firing order next and maybe the timing
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: not that i can think of
Category: Buick
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

perform a cylinder drop test at idle and determine which cylinder/s is/are misfiring first. Instead of getting shocked pulling off spark plug wires, try this method. You will need some vacuum hose, the size that will fit snugly over the distributor cap towers, then cut the vacuum hose up into 8 equal pieces about 2-3 inches long each.

Most vacuum hoses will allow the voltage to flow, so set it up like this.

Now, mark all your spark plug wires at the cap or coil pack and remove them all. Put those short pieces of vacuum hose on the distributor cap or coil pack connections and shove the other end of the vacuum hose into the spark plug wire boot until it makes a good connection.

Then attach a 12 volt test light to ground, start the engine and touch each vacuum hose one at a time and kill each cylinder listening for the rpm to drop just slightly and also that the voltage will arc from the vacuum hose to the test light just incase the cylinder won't cause the rpm to drop you could also be checking for a spark at the cap.

Then when you determine which cylinder/s are misfiring, let me know.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit.